"Spitfire"?

Guest mikeys toy

Guest mikeys toy

I was wandering around my friend's junkyard and came across a '49ish dodge 1 ton with a spitfire engine. I forget what the engine code was, but what was special about this engine?

other than saying spitfire with a few neat lightning bolts cast on the head, nothing..... It is probably a transplanted chrysler 251 or 265 sitting in a truck. the Spitfire thing was a marketing mark Chrylser used on their engines, both the flat 6 and a few early non hemi V8's. Does sound darn sexy though don't it??????

some of the truck motors had a spitfire with dual carbs/and factory manifold.

the motor was 2 in longer than the ply/dodge and had more cubic inches.

i had a 251 spitfire with factory dual carbs..had no idea what it was so i sold it! then i bought my first plymouth!!!

claybill

some of the truck motors had a spitfire with dual carbs/and factory manifold.

the motor was 2 in longer than the ply/dodge and had more cubic inches.

i had a 251 spitfire with factory dual carbs..had no idea what it was so i sold it! then i bought my first plymouth!!!

claybill

Claybill;

To the best of my knowledge the "spitfire" head was never installed at the factory on Dodge long block trucks. Anyone have documentation on this?

Spitfire engines in Canada had more horsepower than the regular engines. I believe another 15-20 horsepower was the result of higher compression and other factors. Four of us from the local car club are working on a 1947 Chrysler limousine that used to be the City of Lethbridge ambulance at one time and is now owned by the Firefighters Union Charities who are supplying the necessary funds. Pics are attached. It has the Spitfire engine as this is one heavy car and any extra horses would be appreciated. This is the original engine in the car as the numbers on the block match those in the owners manual that came with the car

Ambulance7.jpg

Ambulance9.jpg