Filling The Cowl Vent

buds truck

The cowl vent needed filling as I will not be using it in this build. I took the vent apart and cut off the lower bracket. I flattened out the edge around the cowl vent cover to give me a closer gap for welding. I ground off all the metal. set the vent cover in the opening, tack welded it in place to insure it was at the same height as the body and then started tacking all around the vent area. I allowed time between welds to keep from warpage and stitch welded. I also moved around on the welds so as not to weld too long in any one area. After I ground off the welds, it looks like it will only take a skim coat of filler to finish it off. pics of the process attached. Bud :D

post-2377-13585348764144_thumb.jpg

post-2377-13585348764475_thumb.jpg

post-2377-13585348764771_thumb.jpg

post-2377-13585348765043_thumb.jpg

post-2377-13585348765368_thumb.jpg

Don't you ever get tired of showing off...LOL, doggone you've got talent son!

One of these days you will be featured in print, and not in the post office either!

MY INTENT WITH ALL OF THE "HOW TO" POSTS IS TO MOTIVATE MY PILOTHOUSE FRIENDS THAT IF SOMEONE LIKE ME WITH AVERAGE (AT BEST) SKILLS CAN DO THIS, SO CAN THEY. yOU GUYS MAY NOT WANT TO GO THE RADICAL CUSTOM ROAD THAT I AM GOING, BUT THERE ARE ALSO WELDING AND FABRICATION AREAS THAT WILL NEED TO BE ADDRESSED BY EACH RESTORER. MY HOPE IS THAT MY THREADS MAKE THE DOUBTERS THINK, "IF HE CAN DO IT, SO CAN I". BUD

Bud;

Your work is inspiring and I like to see your progress pictures..

The cowl vent is one of the features that makes these cars special. Were I going for a custom job on my car I would try and incorporate a working cowl vent. It is a poor mans air conditioner but it adds class.

Guest Dave Claussen

Can we/I assume that you are using a wire feed welder? And, yes, you have inspired me to tackle some repairs on the bottom of my drivers' door. You're work is very good as the photos clearly show. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who is very interested to see your project in paint. BTW, are you planning on doing your own paint as well? Keep those pics coming. Dave

Can we/I assume that you are using a wire feed welder? And, yes, you have inspired me to tackle some repairs on the bottom of my drivers' door. You're work is very good as the photos clearly show. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who is very interested to see your project in paint. BTW, are you planning on doing your own paint as well? Keep those pics coming. Dave

yes, I use a wire feed welder on all my welding projects, I was never any good with gas. I'm glad you are going to tackle your door bottoms. the trick is to weld a little and let it cool down naturally. As far as doing my own paint, the jury is still out on that one, I live in a very residential area and do NOT want any mad neighbors. I may ask my friend that owns a bodyshop if I can rent his booth, but that is a loooong way off yet. The next project is the doors, I am waiting for the suicide door hinge kit to come in the mail. Now, THAT'S a scary job!!! Bud

Bud I've been watching your progress AND don't think your scared of anything. Keep it up. :)

Carl, there are lots of things that scare me (suicide doors are one of them), but I have always faced my fears head on and will do the same with the door project. there is a great article on the H.A.M.B that shows a great step by step process for suiciding doors on an old Ford truck. I figured if he could do it, so could I. Bud

I stopped by Buds last Saturday to see how he was doing on his project, that guy knows what he is doing. He has no FEAR, will tackle anything. I have no doubt the suicide doors will come out looking like they came that way. Keep up the good work Bud there are many of us looking over your shoulder.

Wayne

Guest Dave Claussen

Suicide doors!? Now that should be really cool!! I can't wait to see that in pictures.

At the risk of sounding like a commercial, there is a company that makes a water based paint that you would not neccesarily need a booth to apply. The company is called Auto Air Colors. Here's a link:

http://www.autoaircolors.com/

I haven't tried this and I'm definetly no expert at painting but this sounds like something even I could do. The magazine Classic Truck did a short article on this paint method and they had very good results. When the time comes for your paint you might want to check it out. Just a thought. Dave