One ton rear axle question

PatS....

I'm in the same situation w my 1 ton. I'm currently running 16" bias ply all the way around with duals in the back. There is a drop center 17" (maybe 17.5")rim used on late 50 Dodge 1 tons that will bolt up to this pattern-but I think finding tires for them may be a problem. I had a set offered to me, but turned them down when I couldn't find tires to fit them. The type of rim in the photo has the offset for a single rear wheel application. If you try to use this type of rim in a dual application the tire sidewalls will touch with a gap between the rim flanges. The rims for use as duals have a different offset. I think I may have profile pictures of the 2 different styles-they look basically the same, but when you put them side by side the difference is obvious. Hope that helps. Mike

Guest P15-D24

The one tons are unique in that they use a special coined rim for duals and single lug nuts. The coined rims interlock so a single nut is all that is needed. The rear axle will take duals with no mods. I'm pretty sure you can get by with a standard 6.00 or 6.50 bias ply on the duals on the standard rims. Mike, have you actually tried it with the rims you have? My standard 16 inch ones looked like they would work with a 1/2" clearance between tires using a 6.50 by 16. BTW, a very rare factory option is a 20" wheel, including duals. They are listed in the sales brochure and parts book but actually finding one is like finding a passenger side factory mirror. However they are real as I have a set of 7 with 6.50x20 tires mounted.

For the rims that I have in my inventory, the rims designed with the single use only offset do not have the (flanged) coned lug holes, and their offset will not allow the lug faces to touch each other when placing them side by side. The tire sidewalls make contact first leaving a space of over an inch between the rim faces. You may get by with 1 of each type rim space wise, but if they're not flanged for the dual setup I think you're going to have a problem keeping the lug nuts tightened. With only a 1/2" spacing between the tires when stacking the rims together I think your tires' inner sidewalls will rub against each other with any type of a load (maybe even unloaded) when the weight of the truck is placed on them. I like the looks of the single use rims on the front (nice offset) but I carry a spare for the duals which will work front or back. Just my $.02. Mike

Stockton wheel have wheels to fit early MOPAR trucks.

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/light_truck_wheels.htm

The Power Wagon II wheel features a 6 x 7.25-inch bolt circle and is manufactured to fit on early one-ton Ford, Dodge Power Wagons, International pickups and M715 Military Jeeps. Stockton Wheel manufactures the Power Wagon II wheel in 16, 16.5 and 17-inch diameters, and can accommodate any width or offset you desire.

post-164-13585344815641_thumb.jpg