OT 62 Chrysler

Young Ed

This car is on the bay. Its a little far away but I'd really love to own one of these. In case I get crazy and bid anyone know the common issues with these to check on?

3cff_1.JPG

I had a 4 door hardtop back in 73-74. It was just a great car. No issues at all that I recall. The dash was completely out of this world. Neatest one on any car I've seen.

The pushbutton transmission took a bit of getting used to and the park position is a lever under the pushbuttons.

I seem to recall the signal light lever was on the laft side of the dash as well.

The 383 is fast and the car rides and handles decent as well.

I would certainly love to have another.

I traded mine in for a 1965 Pontiac Catalina Wagon, which was rare in Canada. Bought new at Hine Pontiac in Dallas. I had to pay a whopping $975 for it in '74.

Here's the dash shot of this one. It says the pad needs to be replaced. The rest looks ok. Looks like the steering wheel may need some help too. I think it should be all red?

46fa_1.JPG

I grew up learning on a push button transmission and "Drive" was either the first button or the next one down. When we got the '68 Plymouth it had the shift on the column. I stalled it at a stop sign and, when I refired it, I just moved the lever "down 1". Needless to say I started backing up. Good thing there wasn't anyone behind us.

And that right there is a good example of why all the manufacturers went to a standard pattern. FWIW some of the buses where my dad works have push buttons again.

Check for RUST !!!

1) Trunk lip ( where the weatherstrip is supposed to be glued: there are little drain tubes at the back corners, which clog, then the water sits there, rusts-out the lip, then the water collects in the trunk, rusts-out the trunk, etc.

2) rear quarters

3) front fender crowns just in front of the hood-hinges.

4) eyebrows over the headlights.

5) front floor

6) rockers

VERY few of these '60-'62 Chrysler/De Sotos have a good trunk section.

There are few repro panels at this point.

Also, there were two sizes of Chrysler: the Windsor/Newport, which rode a 122" wheelbase, and the Saratoga/New Yorker/300, which rode a 126" wheelbase. The chassis was "stretched" between the A-pillar and the front bumper, and from the cowl forward is a different car from the Windsor/Newport: suspension, frame, bumper, fenders, grille, hood...

Also, the larger cars had larger brakes and the large MoPar bolt pattern for the wheels.

If it's in solid shape and not missing and trim goodies, they make a fun driver and are quite comfortable. Don't expect more than 16 MPG on the highway.

Check it out real good before you buy one...

Good luck !

Frank McMullen

Frank

What do you mean by large mopar bolt pattern? The 62 in the pic has aftermarket wheels and if it were mine I'd want to put stock wheels back on it. Its also a CA car so it should be quite solid.

years ago I bought a convertible like this back to life ..had to make the floor pans and trunk floor and rockers from scratch...could not at the time even find a rocker panel...If this car needs panels of anysort, see if they are available prior to purchase..could make all the difference bwteen a love/hate relationship.

One of my boys had two of those Chryslers, and I think he still has a couple of spare instrument panels and the electro-luminesence units for them that he collected.

It seems to me that he was always looking for more taillight lenses and housings. The lenses didn't stand up to the Idaho sun too well, and the housings were rather fragile.

Hi, ED;

The WC is progressing a little. Front suspension is complete, '61 Dodge pickup steering sector mounted and custom drag link fabricated. Just added an inch of spacers to the rear spring pack to get the back end up a little. Have de-rusted the windshield frame by electrolysis and now need to braze up or JB Weld up the holes.

Hope you had a nice Christmas, looking forward to a great new year. Maybe get the '45 driveable this year?

Paul H

Christmas was good. New years got kinda snowed out. Oh well. I've only been waiting to see that 45 for what 5 years now? Better hurry up or my 40 plymouth will beat yours to the road. Your putting the poly 318 in yours right?