Newbie says hello!

Guest 49DeSoto

Guest 49DeSoto

Hi all,

my name is Patrick and i live in germany. 2 month ago i bought a 49 Desoto coupe. The car is in pieces

and at the monemt i try to restore it.

It´s my first real project and i think i will have a lot of questions...

The car has a Spitfire engine from an Desoto S14 in it. (I guess)

I tried to find infos about this engine but without success.

Is someone in this forum with the same engine?

By the way: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Thanks

Patrick

Guest Nile Limbaugh

Welcome, Patrick! I think an S-14 is a 1950 DeSoto so you may have a slightly later engine, but I don't think there is any difference between the two. What part of Germany are you in? My wife is originally from Heidelberg and I spent a bit of time there in the 60's. You'll find a great bunch of guys here. Ask away, somebody will know most of the answers!

Welcome aboard Patrick....

My parents are both originally from Germany, my mom from Astet, and my dad from Idar-Oberstein.....

As for your car, if I can help in any way, I'll be glad to. Do you have any of the numbers off the engine? Do you have the car serial # tag? Since its an export model like those we have in Canada, with my shop manual and parts manual, I should be able to help find out more for you. According to what you've said, if your engine is from a S14, it should be a 236.6 cu in engine with a 3 7/16ths bore and 4 1/4 in stroke. The engine numbers and the door serial number would help with more info..... any numbers from the engine, or from the 2 tags shown here....

Allan

post-113-13585344806683_thumb.jpg

post-113-13585344806849_thumb.jpg

Welcome Patrick.

There are a lot of knowledgable fellows on this forum who can help with your questions.

If you have not done so, I would suggest purchasing a parts manual and a repair manual for your car, as they can answer a lot of basic

questions. They are usually available on ebay most of the time.

Bob

Hi all,

my name is Patrick and i live in germany. 2 month ago i bought a 49 Desoto coupe. The car is in pieces

and at the monemt i try to restore it.

It´s my first real project and i think i will have a lot of questions...

The car has a Spitfire engine from an Desoto S14 in it. (I guess)

I tried to find infos about this engine but without success.

Is someone in this forum with the same engine?

By the way: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

WELCOME to the forum, we need more desoto heads! I know of a spitfire 250 being sold in northen california.... I will try to find out more info for you...

ON THE MEAN TIME WELCOME!

MKSTR!:cool:

Guest 49DeSoto

Hi,

i was in my garage but behind the waterpump i could only read S14-5 The rest was covered with

paint and dirt. I have to clean it first.

Then i measured the head and he is 25" long. On the side of the distributor is a number on the engine which says 52 10-8.

Any ideas?

But I think I have to restore the body steering and all that stuff first and than I do the engine.

As i told you the car is in pieces... My goal is to be on the road 2008.

Patrick

Patrick,

The Desotos, like the export Dodges (here in Canada) used the 25 inch long block engine, as compared to the 23.25 inch engine in the states. The S14 states that it is a Desoto S14 engine (ie 236.6 cu in), however Im not sure about the other number... although the number on the "left side" of the engine (I believe the distributor side) should be the engine number (between the #1 and #2 cylinder). The tags I showed are on the drivers door post (round one) and the firewall (square one).

Allan