Remanufactured Headlight Bucket

Guest Roadrunner

Guest Roadrunner

I removed the headlight "bucket" from the fenders in our 1940 Plymouth. They are rusted thru in many places. Does anybody know if these are made remanufactured? Any other ones useable other than used?

Steve and Darrien

Steve,

Rodney Bullock and Phil Ellis are two of our "resident" 1940 guys...

Speaking from the perspective of a '41 De Soto owner, I'd be surprised if there's ANY repro headlight buckets for non-Muscle MoPars...

I have "holy" buckets in my De Soto, with some holes that took-out the adjusters for the aiming... I was able to fudge the adjustment by drilling some holes through the back of the bucket and use some long machine screws & nuts... it's not pretty, but right now, I'm the only guy that ever sees it...

Since it's not in a highly visible spot, you might be able to weld-in some serviceable patches, then apply some filler if you need to, then undercoat the portion that is visible inside the front fender...

You might try some of the salvage yards like Moore's or Desert Valley Auto Parts ( both are on-line) that seem to have un-rusted cars...

Steve,

I was not able to find any repops for my '40 Dodge. As far as I know they don't exist. However, I was able to pick up a decent used set on ebay. If your not in any hurry I would just keep an eye on ebay since they do come up periodically. Otherwise, it's fibreglass cloth/resin to make what you got work.

Phil

I removed the headlight "bucket" from the fenders in our 1940 Plymouth. They are rusted thru in many places. Does anybody know if these are made remanufactured? Any other ones useable other than used?

Steve and Darrien

I had some '36 Hudson buckets that were like swiss cheese after I glass beaded them but I laid some resin soaked fiberglas mat inside followed up with a skim coat of bondo on the outside and they actually turn out pretty good. I also put a coat of black POR15 on the inside just to finish it off. This would be a easy fix for your buckets. Jeff