Extra stud in Hubs (1940)

Guest Roadrunner

Guest Roadrunner

I removed all 4 wheels in our 1940 plymouth 4 door and Found something strange to me. I am not very familiar with cars this old and was surprised in the way this was built. The Lug nuts are bolts that thread into the hub as upposed to nuts on modern cars. I found this common with trailers but there is something on this that I don't find on trailers. A small tapered stud that fits into the rim between the lugs. It is attached to the car and stays on when the wheel is removed. It seems to line up the wheel but makes it not possible to use other wheels that I have around with a similar bolt pattern. Is this peice necessary and what is it's intended purpose?

VW & Audi's and several other odern cars that still use bolts instead of studs and nuts include a plastic guide pin that screws into a hole to hold align the wheel while you put in the other 4 bolts. A bolt with the head cut off would work on the one side but you would need to fine left hand threads for the other side.

I've been meaning to make myself a set of those. The PO broke all those pins off my pickup to run silly ford wheels. Putting those big 16s on with no guide is quite hard. I wouldn't think finding a lefty bolt would be that hard.....