Happy Veterans Day OT

Don Coatney

I have never taken part in the free meals as offered by many of the fine restaurants  In all seriousness, I know there are many that truly need these meals and I feel that I can afford to pay and thereby making it available to those that need can make it so that the fine folks can continue the practice.  Many of our comrades in arms are not nearly as fortunate, re-entering civilian life is often a stressful situation and many have trouble doing so.  

• Like 1

Yep, up and about for a while.  Kind of had a fleeting thought I could get on here for the first Veterans Day salutations this year.  Hoisting the first cup of Joe to all our fellow Veterans, AND to those who support/supported us.

Especially proud to note that the agents and professional staff of the Houlton Sector (covers all of Maine) of the U.S. Border Patrol ("my" Sector!) is 36% Veterans.  Higher than the National average.

I hope EVERYONE has a good Veterans Day, however you choose to recognize it. 

See a Vet - Thank a Vet!

• Like 1

I have been up and about since 4:30 this morning....have made three pots of coffee already....my veterans day will be a fellowship of many other veteran friends along with the many veterans of the highway and those parts that are the remaining evidence of their existence...today starts our two day swap meet....table and trailer are already on spot...rev-em-up boys...lets hear that roar...

Ulu,

Your "Scram !" logo is on Howard 500 N500HP. Based near Minneapolis, she's a regular at Oshkosh. I've photographed her at Long Beach CA, Reno NV and Oshkosh WI.

The howard 500 was an early '60s executive transport, based on the WWII Lockheed U.S. Navy PV-1 Ventura patrol bomber.

Walt

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ulu said:

I collect photos of old planes.

I wish I could remember where this one came from. Reno Air Races maybe?

Anyhow, for fearless American aviators everywhere . . .

scramduck.jpg

The EAA museum in Oshkosh, WI has had a collection of WWII nose art on display this year. Someone decided to cut out the section of the plane with the nose art and save them before the planes were scrapped. The EAA has had them on display throughout this summer/fall. We went down to see them earlier this summer. It was pretty cool to see that little piece of history.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

The EAA museum in Oshkosh, WI has had a collection of WWII nose art on display this year. Someone decided to cut out the section of the plane with the nose art and save them before the planes were scrapped. The EAA has had them on display throughout this summer/fall. We went down to see them earlier this summer. It was pretty cool to see that little piece of history.

I haven't been there for many, many years, but the Commemorative Air Force (Used to be Confederate Air Force, they went "politically correct" back in the 80s) has an extensive collection of WW2 aircraft art.  Same source, someone had the foresight to cut the art off of WW2 aircraft before they were scrapped after the war.  CAF's main HQ is in Midland, TX now, where they had all the "nose art" last time I visited.  They have wings all over the country.

20 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

They say it's on loan to the EAA for a limited time. May be the same collection. 

I checked their website, it is the same collection.  "Surprise Attack" is the one that stands out in my memory...

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Time to bring this thread back to the top. On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month take a moment to thank all veterans. If you are a veteran please add a posting to this thread and thanks to all veterans for your service.

Don Coatney US Army Vietnam 1966-1968

The plaque on my wall says thanks for 32 years and 4 months service to your country...and for the many brothers and sisters in arms I have met over the years..thanks for the friendships, the good times and your personal sacrifice.  For those that are still in service, I salute you....Salute | CAPTAIN oh Captain | Pinterest