Spin On Oil Filter

GeorgeLeonard

I was just cruising the 'bay and came across a 48 with what appears to be a spin on oil filter. Does anyone know where I can get one of these? Id hate to buy the whole car just to get one but it looks as if I could do worse. Seems like a nice driver that has had a whole lot of work already done to it.

post-2464-13585348621917_thumb.jpg

Yeh......but isn't the problem with those spin on filter adapters that if you use them with an oil system(standard style Plymouth/Dodge ) thats originally designed for a by-pass oil filter system that the oil lines/fittings, etc for the spin on adaptor are too large and you end up with very low oil pressure.......unless you restrict or reduce the diameter of the oil lines in some way.......at least this is what I've been led to believe......anyway, the Behive filter on my P11 looks better than the spin on filters anyways.......lol......but would be interested in hearing some opinions............andyd

I have installed a couple of the newer spin on filters on 2 Flatheads - a dodge and a Pym. Seem to work just fine for me I simply got fittings to reduce the intake nd exit sizes. I prefer to mount on firewall using ez bend brake lines- I makes getting starter on easier and the oil dip tube is much more accessible.

MVC-005F-1.jpg

Yeh......but isn't the problem with those spin on filter adapters that if you use them with an oil system(standard style Plymouth/Dodge ) thats originally designed for a by-pass oil filter system that the oil lines/fittings, etc for the spin on adaptor are too large and you end up with very low oil pressure.......unless you restrict or reduce the diameter of the oil lines in some way.......at least this is what I've been led to believe......anyway, the Behive filter on my P11 looks better than the spin on filters anyways.......lol......but would be interested in hearing some opinions............andyd

I have a spin on filter on my P23 shows about 40 psi at idle and no big drop when driving. It was on the car when I got it so not sure where it was purchsed

p23oil.jpg

I see an alternator on the blue engine, is it 6 volt ? Is it hard to wire ? Jim

mot at all -it si 6 volt pos ground from model a for parts dealer- was about 100 when i got it. Just one wire connected to the wire on regulator that was to the ignition etc- removed the rgulator

lou

I just put spin on adaptor from Summit on my 52 D41...I ordered SUM-G4985. This is a kit. If I had to do over I would orderTRD-1028. This is just a remote bracket. You would need toget the rest of fittings to reduce the size of the lines. The only thing i ended up using from the kit was bracket.

I used 1/4" rubber line and reduced the fittings in bracket to 1/8 Npt and then used 1/4" barbs....Same on the motor...used 1/8 npt to 1/4 90 degree and then used 1/4 " barbs. I had to use the 90 degree fittings, as straight 1/8 fitting with barbs won't work.

Bob

Get a used GM 10 si alternator from the local pick and pull and look on ebay for the parts to convert it. The cheapest way. I did this and for what I wanted I went 12 volt positive ground but the parts are easily available for about any configuration and the alternator is such a simple item I couldn't see paying someone else their high prices to do what I could.

Here is one guy that supplies the parts.

http://stores.ebay.com/Triodiode-DC-Electric-And-Tractor

Things like new brushes and brush holder is real cheap and available at most auto parts stores.

Here is a good read on these GM alternators.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml