54 powerflite leaks

olskulow

Let's see... '54 (and '55) still had rod/lever-type shifters (push-button and cable started in '56), so places to look for leakage:

Sump pan (tranny's version of an oil pan)

Filler-tube connection ( where the tube goes into the tranny, there's a big flare-nut on the tube)

Shifter / throttle rod seals - where any mechanical linkage goes through the tranny case.

Front Pump / Seal - seal between the torque converter neck and tranny case; would drip ATF from the bell housing.

Output shaft seal - seal bewteen the extension housing and e-brake drum neck; would drip ATF out the e-brake drum / fling it across the underside of the floor.

Transmission fluid cooler (if equipped; sixes may have had air-cooled Powerflite? ): would be a flat sheetmetal assembly in series bewteen the radiator lower hose and the water pump; if you have reddish-pink blobs floating in your coolant, this would be a sign of a leaky tranny cooler.

Does the car leak ATF when just sitting, or only with the engine running, or only when the car is under-way ?

If it leaks while in storage, that would suggest the leak is from the pan gasket and/or the filler tube joint; the front and rear seals are usually "above the fluid level", and would tend to leak when the vehicle is running and/or in motion.

Replacing the rear seal (output shaft) is relatively easy; just have to drop the driveshaft and pull the e-brake; seals are readily available, as is a repair sleeve, if a groove has worn in the neck of the e-brake drum.

If the front seal is leaking, an old-time budget fix is to add a couple ounces (2 or 3 oz at a time, checking to see if leak has stopped before giving another dose) of DOT-3 brake fluid to the tranny; this helps soften and swell hardened seals. Don't overdo; I would stop at 1 pint of brake fluid.

If the front seal does not repsond to the above treatment, then the tranny has to be pulled (bell housing and Torque converter stay in the car, unlike modern Auto Trannies; the cast-iron P-flite and T-flite have seperate bell-housing and tranny case, like a manual tranny), then the seal is in front pump housing of the tranny. Again, the seal and repair sleeve are both readily available; it's just a pain of a job.

Don't know about the avail of seals for the shifter or throttle shafts...

At any rate. I hope some of this helps you pin-down your leak.

(I have a pesky ATF leak in my '60 Windsor - I will lose a quart of ATF in about 100 miles of highway driving, but none while sitting; turns-out the rubber sheath if the push-button selector cable has deteriorated, and allows fluid to be forced-out when the tranny is under load. It's a bear of a job, so I've been putting it off ! )

De Soto Frank

• 3 years later...

"If the front seal is leaking, an old-time budget fix is to add a couple ounces (2 or 3 oz at a time, checking to see if leak has stopped before giving another dose) of DOT-3 brake fluid to the tranny; this helps soften and swell hardened seals. Don't overdo; I would stop at 1 pint of brake fluid."

Anyone try the DOT-3 treatment? My Powerflite is steadily dripping from the bell housing when in idle.

you post a fix and yet you do not know if it works and ask if anyone has ever tried it? is this what you call responsible contributions? who picks up the tab is lieu of total failure of the powerflite tranny should it happen..inquiring minds want to know..

Did you read the entire thread? I was quoting another members "fix" and if anyone has ever tried it.

That trick of putting some Brake Fluid into the trans to fix the seals is an old time repair............I have tried it yrs ago on the Cast iron T/f I have and it did work for a time............but its only a temporary repair.........andyd

very much so and if you go back there are no quotes nor is there any highlighted blocks as is common when you quote another person..example is the quote you made of my own reply just above this one..this is what a quoted reply will look like..without the quote or a link posted is why I questioned your proposed fix..

Edited by Tim Adams

If the front seal is leaking, an old-time budget fix is to add a couple ounces (2 or 3 oz at a time, checking to see if leak has stopped before giving another dose) of DOT-3 brake fluid to the tranny; this helps soften and swell hardened seals. Don't overdo; I would stop at 1 pint of brake fluid.De Soto Frank

Has anyone tried this remedy? If so, did it work for you?

There you go...

Edited by 54Illinois

That trick of putting some Brake Fluid into the trans to fix the seals is an old time repair............I have tried it yrs ago on the Cast iron T/f I have and it did work for a time............but its only a temporary repair.........andyd

Thanks for the reply. As it is a steady drip, I may pull and replace the seal.

My 1954 Plymouth power flite leaks if it is parked for a few days. It leaks from the shift input shaft, as the fluid drains back into the trans. There is no valve to stop the drain back, the fluid forces its way past the seal. My brother also has a 54 plymouth powerfite,his does the same thing.This was a common problem. Not sure if later models were modified to fix this problem.I think the Chev power glide had the same problem.

54Illinois & James.......thats right only a teaspoon or two...........it stopped the drip for a while.....but it tastes .........lol.........oops...........wrong forum..........seriously tho' I think from memory I used 2 teaspoons.....andyd