Timing Chain Question

Andydodge

Plym49, thank you for those pics, I went and checked the chain & gears on my 230 and its definately different, it has the single tooth, unsplit gears.........at last a difference.......do you know what year the engine is that those pics are of?.......thanks, andyd

Plym49, thank you for those pics, I went and checked the chain & gears on my 230 and its definately different, it has the single tooth, unsplit gears.........at last a difference.......do you know what year the engine is that those pics are of?.......thanks, andyd

The engine in the pictures is supposed to be a '52. HOWEVER - I do not know if everything in the motor is from a '52. I might be mistaken, but I *think* that up until around '54 they used the split gears and the oil tube, and that they then changed to the unsplit gear and a slinger instead of the oiler.

This has helped actually, even tho this is a 230 industrial engine which was outa an airport tug of unknown vintage I have assumed that it was probably late 50's/early 60's but it has the oil tube that spurts oil onto the chain, not the slinger, but also I wasn't aware of the split gear setup which is different to what I have, which is the "later" style chain............so at least now I have something to aim for, the later style chain..........thanks guys, very much appreciated

• 9 years later...

Looks like the 1630050/1630051/1630052 part numbers cross-reference to Melling 494/S266/S265.  Has anyone used Melling timing gear/chain products on their engine?  Thanks, DW

Here's a little updated information:  The Melling 494 timing chain crosses to CC1946957.

Edited by bvilletrack
wrong information

DW...........just to update what I ended up doing was to obtain a matched chain and gear set and intended to use that, however I eventually ended up selling the complete unassembled engine so unfortunately can't supply any more info if needed, this was in 2013 or 2014..........I would think that Mellings parts would be a good choice, assuming that they are USA made.........I ended up getting valves,valve guides and lifters from Turkey as there had been a Chrysler parts distribution centre there and the parts were much cheaper than anywhere else but more importantly were NOS, in genuine mopar or US branded boxes with part numbers.............I think the chain & gear set may also have been ex Turkey too............regards, Andyd. 

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, Mopar-Boy said:

Will the sprockets and chain for 34 dodge fit a 33 dodge (both inkine 6)?

Early on this thread was the information that the timing chains are the same for all the 1933-54 L-6 engines.

That said, for Plymouth the original part numbers from 1933-34 are different than the later part numbers. I suspect the interchange to the later part number still holds.

For what it is worth, I do not have parts books for  Dodge so I can’t check but on the Plymouth side the 1933 and 1934 use the same part numbers. Mechanically Dodge and Plymouth were nearly identical in 1933 & 34 so it seems very likely that your proposed interchange will work.

for whats it worth in the technical section I posted a link to the Borg warner timing chain catalog that I recently purchased at the Hershey swap meet.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

image.png.28023df5e858ce19dd1c039a4f5c2ec5.pngimage.png.1338d536cffa84b459940b342c386bde.png

image.png

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 1

I can confuse everyone and say that my 49 Chrysler chain fit on my 29 DeSoto gears even tho they are different designs, and no i did not use it. I replaced it on the 49 because it was stretched out and did not use it on my 29. But im going to replace the 29 this year since i couldn't find one but with the info up above i was able to find a chain for 29-33 on Meyers dodge site. The interchange looks good.

I found a chain for my 29 like i said and it isnt cheap. I could not find gears. My plan was to buy a timing set for a 49 maybe, the issue is three holes vs four on the cam and then maybe keyway locations. The holes i can drill out perfectly on the bridgeport, i might be able to do the keyway but im worried about the gear getting weak with more holes. And worried about the offset that there may be. U believe the chain will still be loose with 95 yrs on the gears. My whole engine has been a gamble as some of you may know but I think I did well with it.