Timing Chain Question

Andydodge

All Mopar 6 cylinder timing chains are apparently the same 1934 to 1954 including both 23 and 25" engines then as Plymouth & Dodge only list the six after that from 1956 to 1959 the timing chain is different to the 1955 & earlier engine.........has anyone compared the two and can tell me what the difference is and/or better still the part numbers for each.........thanks, andyd

There is a difference, and I have an incorrect one for my 56 engine some where in my parts stash. I got it through terril and he knows the difference now. I do not remember the whys and wherefors, only that it was different.

Burnedbomb shows two one ending at 55 and the other 56-59

I have no exact experience with the later engine..but if the chain is different then so would be the gears and odds are if you have a matching set to install..should it not work on whatever engine?..the cams and crank were not changed any to my knowledge..but then again..I have not worked with a later flattie though I do a 58 engine here..the assembly (manner of links) of the later chain may be a different stronger process..

Don..on most cars I have seen and SBC is notorious for their many and different timing chain covers..this was a feature of the cover and related lower crank pulley...the relationship of the crank gear and the timing gear on the cam will be the same..(index TDC and 2-1 rotation)...am thinking they went to a different style chain link thus the need for different chain number that should be matched to the cut of the gear teeth themselves, am sure we have a change here also....and if placed in matching sets, all old numbers or all new numbers..still think it should work...

you make it to the 'boro yet??

All Mopar 6 cylinder timing chains are apparently the same 1934 to 1954 including both 23 and 25" engines then as Plymouth & Dodge only list the six after that from 1956 to 1959 the timing chain is different to the 1955 & earlier engine.........has anyone compared the two and can tell me what the difference is and/or better still the part numbers for each.........thanks, andyd

Don't have a book for the newer number but the 36-48 parts book lists the chain as 1075001. Actually that is a bit weird as there is no way a 1936 car came from factory with a part number as high as 1075001. For what is is worth the 1933 and 34 cars used part 601765.

Thanks for the info, theres a chain on Oz ebay which is for the Oz 57-60 250 Six, which, as the Oz car is based on the 54 USA car......should, I say should be the early style chain.....we will see.....andyd

Thanks for the info, theres a chain on Oz ebay which is for the Oz 57-60 250 Six, which, as the Oz car is based on the 54 USA car......should, I say should be the early style chain.....we will see.....andyd

The OZ 57 to 60, 250 six is the English made engine Australia stated using in 53. I can`t remember without looking at the parts books but I think the chains in these are the same from 53 to 62.

I don`t know if there is any difference to the US ones, but I dont think there should be.

Tony, thats what makes me think its essentially the same as the early cars, as even a 1962 Oz Royal is just a bastardised 53/54 Plymouth.......lol........andyd

For 1933-54 engines :

Timing chain - 1075001

Camshaft sprocket - 601757

Crankshaft sprocket - 601760

For 1955-58, Canadian 1959 and early U.S. 1959 engines :

Timing chain - 1630050

Camshaft sprocket - 1630052

Crankshaft sprocket - 1630051

For U.S. late 1959 engines :

Timing chain - 1946957

Camshaft sprocket - 1946959

Crankshaft sprocket - 1946958

Original timing chain number was 601765. Number 1075001 appeared sometime in 1946-48. I do not have a 1946-48 parts book, but that number is not in 1942 but it is in 1949, along with much higher numbers.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Bill, on further reading do these numbers you quote only relate to the small block.

In Australia the part #`s you quote up to 54 carry on here through to 62 for the long block. The numbers change in 55 for the short block only.

I live in Canada and thus have Canadian parts books, which cover Canadian & American parts. Plus, Chrysler of Canada built ONLY 25" flathead sixes.

So the part numbers I quoted are for North American-built flathead sixes, be they 23" or 25".

And we now know the British factory, the source of Australian flathead 25" block sixes, did not change the sprockets and chain in 1955.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Bill.......so from the look of it I should be o/k to think its the early style chain.........is there any way to tell the difference between the early and late chains?.....ie, width/length?.......thanks, andyd

But is there any way to tell which chain is which?.......I have a 230 Industrial engine which I think would be late 50's to early/mid 60's, tho' I am not sure.......it could be early 50's, no way of knowing now, BUT there is no number as far as I can see on the chain, apart from some very small "morse" and "made in usa" markings.....does anyone know what the differences are between the 2 types of timing chain.......length?......width?....number of teeth on the gears?.......thanks......andyd

and now we are back to the original question...it appears there is a lot of speculation..many known part numbers but with no real relevance as to the difference in the items as made...

I personally think..and this is all it may be worth, is if you use a matching set for the years as indicated in the list previously listed by Bill W. you should be ok..

the cut of some gears in later years were at such an angle change to eliminate noise...another specualtion...

One would need to see the original drawing specifications..

Tony..........its a 230, supposedly outa a Sydney airport tug......23" long, 3 & 1/4 bore.....has the Chrysler plate on the block, no engine number on the boss where the car numbers are, but these on that Chrysler plate " Model # 30-2558-1" and "Serial No. E 100650" Chrysler Industrial Products Division Marysville, Michigan USA...........the cast in number under the dissy hole is "67" then "CW C3 B250" then under where the starter would be there is " 146 4828 22".......and yep Tim....back where we started.......the problem is I do not have anyone local who knows anything about these engines, the local parts shops are useless and the short 23" engines where not that common in Australia from the 1950's onwards........so thats why I am asking.......I will be getting the engine machining done then I will build it myself, having collected the various internal bits on ebay etc, but as I don't have any idea whether the 230 engine I have is sort of equivalent to the pre 55 or post 55 230.........andyd

Andy..in all seriouness I understand your problem and the need to know just what you are dealing with...however if I may ask, have there been any other part changes in the same given years internal to the block...I have no way to source this info...Bill Watson gave his input with the part numbers but it appears that even his excellent source of info has left this blank. I am still of the feeling that the change would be within the three parts (upper and lower gears and the chain) and that if you used a matched set, say from an earlier year that may be mmore common/easier to obtain...lots of timing chians were recut angles to eliminate noise as the newer cars got quieter over time as this became a customer issue...in saying that you should not have a problem. But agreed..somewhere this information is known to exist but who what and where..maybe could never be found out...

I have a 58 here but it is a complete unit and as such not one I can readily pull a part off for a visual or I would do it for you in a heartbeat..

Tim......no problems, lol........I would prefer to get a matched set, but sofar that hasn't been found here either, will perservere with hunting locally(in Oz) as I'm in no particular hurry........thanks for the input tho, any and all info is good info......andyd

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 1936 chyrsler 241.5.... I have several timing chains and gears.

They are all the same but one crank gear. This gear has the exact same

I.D. but the teeth are completely different. Much smaller teeth .

There is the LOGO CDPD on the gear. What year did they stop putting the

LOGO on parts? I think this may be the other chain setup... The way this

chain was designed is nuts anyway.... the teeth expand as it bends around the gears? Are there any parts dealer on this form who would like to make some money?

ERic

vw4x4@verizon.net