transmission for 38 RC

xbedbugger

1938 , I don't know . 1939 yes . If someone knows if the 1938 and 1939 are interchangable , your question would be answered . For example a syncro trans from a 1941 will fit a 1939 . Externally they are the same . We are talking 3 speeds here as the 4 speeds were not syncro untill a few years later . Young Ed might know the answer , why don't you post the question over on the section that gets more traffic ?

Does it look like this? I have access to the hollander books too but they are stingy on truck info. Also the 39s were so similar to the 38s that the factory only issued suppliments to the shop and parts books.

P8160003.jpg

Young Ed , That is a good point . I have the 1938 shop manual and the 1939 suppliment and the picture of the two transmissions look the same . Also I have the Pin Point Parts Specifier and the part numbers for the mainshaft and the transmisson case are the same for both the 1938 RC and 1939 TC .

Should be able to look at atleast 47. Starting in 48 some or all of the 3spds went to column shift. There is a tranny in the auction area that might still be available cheap. I think you can swap the top cover and turn a column shift one into a floor shift. Don't quote me on that though :)

There is a group for 1939 - 1947 dodge trucks and someone in that group might have a transmission to sell . www.39-47dodgetrucks.com They don't have a for sale section so you just have to ask . It is not required that you have a truck of this year , but you will need to join the group to get into the site . I think that there is also another group for the 1938 trucks but I don't know the address .

I am basically a charter member of the group :) That site is mostly just an owners registry. From there you should be able to link to the yahoo group-thats where all the discussion takes place. Thats also where the group covering 38s is.