Where does the oil fliter go on the 230 engine?

47heaven

I may have mentioned before that I have a 1955 Plymouth 230 cid engine in my P15. There is no oil filter on it and I can't see where one goes. The kid that was doing the lube job on my car noticed an area on the engine that was capped off. I was wondering if that is where the oil filter went at one time or did it have the same contraption as the original P15 engine had with the tube feeding into the filter and then back out? Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

Guest Nile Limbaugh

The 230 and the 215 use the same add-on oil filter system. The filter is bolted to the head at the left rear of the block with feed and drain lines running from the bottom of the block just ahead of the filter canister.

Guest Nile Limbaugh

Oil filter was an option. There should be 2 small pipe plugs just above the oil pan and in front of the starter. Upper plug takes the line to the top of the filter, lower plug is return from the bottom.

When I got my truck it didn't have an oil filter either. I found one on ebay, listed for late 40's - early 50's Dodge Truck. I bought it and when I got it and opened it up it looked like it was packed full of grease, but it was sludge. I feel sorry for the engine it came off of. It didn't even have the correct filter element in it. Anyway, after some cleaning, painting, and help from here, I got it mounted and a new filter installed. Here are a couple of pics of it.

It is a Deluxe (name brand) filter and specifies a Deluxe JC filter cartridge, which crosses to a NAPA 1011.

Merle

post-20-13585344801914_thumb.jpg

post-20-13585344802188_thumb.jpg

I guess it depends on what filter you have. After reading the posts I thought I had mine backwards, but I copied a picture I took of one of Todd B's trucks. (some of you may remember Todd. He was active on the old forum and has a 2Ton Pilot House with a cabin camper on it). I went out and looked again at my filter and just below the upper fitting is stamped "OUT". This would indicate that I got it correct.

I've attached a pic of a close up of my filter canister, hopefully you can make out the lettering, and a couple of the pics from Todd's truck.

Merle

post-20-13585344805213_thumb.jpg

post-20-13585344805471_thumb.jpg

post-20-13585344805655_thumb.jpg

Guest Nile Limbaugh

I think you're right, Merle, sometimes the disposable filters show up on ebay but I wouldn't mess with one. My 37 had a disposable on it when I brought it home but I tossed it and put on the type with the removable cartridge. Made more sense to me.