Transmission question...

rustbucket

I am pulling the the motor and three speed tranny out of my 49 plymouth p18 to put in my 50 dodge biz-coupe. But now I am thinking of swaping the the trans. for a top shifter. What are my best options for a donor vehicle? A truck of the same era? Or maybe it's just linkage swap I need? Any tips or advice.

The truck tranny is still 1:1 at the top. I suspect a 3spd would have pretty similar ratios to a car. However they are quite different in shape between car and truck.

P8160003.jpg

Now that I have a plan, I have a new question. I want to replace all the external seals while I have it out, can I just remove the pieces that have seals under them, and replace the seals, or is it going to erupt, with gizzards flying everywhere, as soon as I get the bolts off. Also, got any trusted sources for the seals?