Our poor car

Guest Roadrunner

Guest Roadrunner

This weekend seems to be the perfect weekand to start on our very rough 1940 plymouth 4 door. I was going to start removing the front end of the car. Get the sheetmetal off of the car (fender and such) to get to start on the front crossmember removal and installa good one. I needed to spin the car around and nose it in so we have more space to work. 2 out of 4 tires hold air and one rear wheel will not turn. So I put the good tires on the front and lifted the car by the diff with my floor jack. :cool: I spun right aroud inside the shop without opening the doors. we were almost done when the jack hit a stone on the floor and turned on me and I did not know it. It looked like a lowrider after the jack fliped and the car landed on the floor. The jack wound up under the fuel tank and crushed it.:eek: It was empty thankfully. I lifted her back up with the cherrypicker and then I reailzed what the hole in the left rear fender was. Sombody shot the poor car.:( The bullet went thru the fender and the inner fender. This poor thing had a rough 2nd half of life. The last inspection sticker expired January 1978. Just thought sombody would laugh at my day. The car is now safely on 4 jack stands and up in the air. Tomorrow, off wth the front end.:D

You know you got to be careful with a 1940 car , all these guys have 46-47-48 plymouths, those cars don't know what it's like to go to war and get shot at , by the time they came along the war was over.:cool: I guess you have heard of re-nuz-it they can fix that tank no matter what shape it's in., I had my 1940 jacked up too however I used the cherry picker the whole time. fixed everything under and painted the frame with the cherry picker and tow strap in place. Taking that front clip off is a pie walk the hood as you know is totally by it'self. What ever you do don't remove those inner fenders unless you have to, I did and had to reinstall them with then fenders on the car, it's a two man job, the wife helped to no end, that's why she feels closer to the plymouth. good luck and be careful:)

Guest Roadrunner

I'm sure our tank is repairable, just looks bad with the big dent in it. A little to late with the innerfender on the driverside. I removed the top half to start removing the fender. The whole car will need to be torn down and completely re done. See my new thread on it. Do you have pics of your 1940? Steve and Darrien

yes I have pic's of it going though the motions, I took the whole cars apart and sanded and fixed everything and then put it back together. It's a very simple car, parts are hard to find best thing is to find a donor car and go from there. WE had to strip 6 coats of paint off our car and all the panels had to be worked. The only good thing was the motor was new.jul0807.jpg[/img]