I don't like new forum!!

bob westphal

Bob,

what hoops are you talking about, the threads are easy to read (no click and back clicks) which I think is the main use.

There are more features (including a search) that would be handy.

Haven't looked at everything but the thumbnail is great for users with low bandwidth connections.

Guess it is just getting used to by a bit of trying.

John

Bob, I agree, there are more things to do at certain points. I am starting to get a handle on some of them. The first thing that struck me about the new and old formats was: the old one was what I would call an "open" style....kind of like a sheet of paper with lines written on it. The new one is "compartmentalized" by having the boxes containing the various topics, etc. Just my take on stuff. I have an icon on my desktop to click right to the site, I usually do not "log out", so I don't have to log back in. Try to keep that part simple as I can. You can post with the "quick reply" or make a bit bigger production by posting a complete new message with heading. This is the quick reply. It seems there is something about adding a photo to the quick reply I don't yet understand, however. Eventually will figure it out. I have reduced to size of most pictures in my album because this program will not accept over a certain size in pixels. Ahh, today's modern computer age......

It'll get easier as you get use to it.

Not only that, but this format has so much more to offer. Just having a searchable archive will be HUGE, not to mention all the convenience features. I read a handfull of forums online, and every one of them is setup like this new format. I haven't seen the old style in quite some time.

Pete

I posted this over on the olde forum so I'll past it here also.

I don't care if it was messages in a bottle, I'd be down at the shore everyday. It's all about the common interest of a group of uncommon individuals, not the media. Stylus impressions on a Wax tablet, clicks and ticks among the ether, carvings in granite, burnings in wood, castings in bronze, goat's blood on papyrus, petroglyphs scratched on rocks, it don't make no difference. bring it on and keep it up.

While it is different here, I too posted my sorrow in loosing the old forum. But.... GT knows what he is doing. Of that I have total confidence. If he feels this is the way to go then I am all for it. Yes, I will miss our old friend, the original forum, but hope that here we will all find a new and better friend. Give it time, GT and others are saying we will get use to it and I do believe they may be right. In the short time I have been at this new site I'm learning my way around. And if we don't know something... jst ask. All the guys here are always willing to help... Also, all these guys are our friends and have moved here. If we want to continue as friends we need to move here too...

Just registered on the new forum. I agree it is different and will take some getting used to but I have always enjoyed the old one and plan on doing the same with the new one. I recently painted the walls in my house a nice light green replacing the white I had for years. After I did it I wondered what have I done. All that work and I don't really like it. Now I love it as it was just a matter of getting used to it. I was tired of the old but took a while to like the new. Just like this forum. If I sound like a rambling idiot that is probably because I am.

Fred, I'm pretty sure threads with new posts will be at the top of the list of topics. Also the icons to the left of the thread title indicate something about whether you have read the thread, if there have been new posts since you've read the thread, etc.

For example thread_dot_hot.gif means that I've replied to the topic

Also, you can click on "new posts" at the top of the forum, and it will show the latests posts on the board

I was thinking of starting a thread over in the off topic area where we could share various display and sort choices and why we happen to like that particular combo. It only takes a few seconds to change the display and sort settings. I changed mine and find it real easy to track new messages. I'll start the thread, if anyone wants to weigh in, go for it. If anyone hasn't tried the forum jump yet, go to the bottom right of this page and click for list of jump destinations. click forum questions/suggestions and off topic posts, then hit go.

I have to agree with Bob Westphal. I use to be able to look at forum and see immediately what I hadn't read. Now I feel like I am missing a lot of posts.

Guest Hot Rod Coupe

the other board was a nightmare for me, never could track down an old post a month old , constant clicking of new updates, back n forth all the time ,way too slow for post chasing,This is in a fast linear history format instead of that slow as oil archive stuff + pictures are a snap if you can downsize to a 4x7 max size, no need for a picture carrier, but you can still use it if you don't have or can't use a photo managment program.It will take some getting used to if all you have used is the old format ,but this has become the most popular format out there now. No missed posts ,unreads are in BOLD on my puter at least.

As I said earlier, I just stay logged in. ?Don't know if that's the right way, but I do it. Then I don't have to bother to log in each time. So far have not determined that to be a problem. You do have to be logged in to make posts, etc.

Well' date=' wait until you do what I just did and everyone saying how great it is may just change their minds.

I don't log in unless I want to make a post. Just look at the thread titles. If nothing is there I want to read I click off the forum. This morning I saw Don Coatney's garage post. I hit the "Quick Reply" button and typed a reply to it. When I tried to post it, it brought up a box that said I wasn't logged in, please log in. Logged in and then lost what I had already typed in for the reply. I did retype it, but that's not going to happen in most cases, I'll just forget it. That's probably my biggest complaint about this board. You have to log in each time to do anything other than just read it.[/quote']

Norm;

Is there a problem with staying logged on to the forum? If so what is the problem? I stay logged on and every time I open the forum I am automatically logged on. Every time I opened the old forum I was automatically recognized by the forum software (I have cookies enabled) with my user name, password, and e-mail address showing as I suspect you were too. You could make postings on the old forum without being recognized but the link to your profile would not be there nor would your e-mail address or user name be visible. Remember how that used to irritate several of us (yourself included) when a rogue posting was made where there was no sender identified nor e-mail address visible?

That's right, I said it even if everone else won't! Too many hoops to jump through!

i agree, but we all resist change. i must say that as a limited computer user the old forum was freindly and easy and a pleasure to just browse and reply.

Oh dang..Lisa is online now..that was not me that type that about the garage door..no sir..someone used my computer while I went for coffee..yeah that was it...

Tim

Hmmmmm! I HAVE THE ANSWER FOR YOU GUYS. I WILL QUIT WORK AND QUIT GETTING UP AT 4:00 IN THE MORNING TO GET TO WORK. WORKS FOR ME. THEN I DON'T NEED "DON'S" GARAGE! FREEZE THE DOOR. YOU'LL FIND OUT JUST HOW COLD "FREEZE" IS.

Lisa Coatney

Tim

Hmmmmm! I HAVE THE ANSWER FOR YOU GUYS. I WILL QUIT WORK AND QUIT GETTING UP AT 4:00 IN THE MORNING TO GET TO WORK. WORKS FOR ME. THEN I DON'T NEED "DON'S" GARAGE! FREEZE THE DOOR. YOU'LL FIND OUT JUST HOW COLD "FREEZE" IS.

Lisa Coatney

Hmmm... cold at 4 in the morning.... seems like TN shouldn't be that cold..... now if you take a look at the radiator thread..... now that's cold... and I don't even have a garage.....

(Don, did that help???)

Allan

I'm on dial-up and I don't have any problems with pages loading or pics loading at all.

If I am logged in, I can see "new posts" and not have to wade through stuff I've already read or miss stuff I was watching.

Being on dial up really doesn't diminish the enjoyment of the forum at all so far...I like it.