Another overdrive question

Joe Flanagan

Does anyone know which years the R-10 was used? My brother has located a Studebaker and all he knows about it is that it's from the 50s. I know Studebaker used a Borg-Warner overdrive and I'm trying to find out whether this particular wreck might have one. My brother is 500 miles from me in Massachusetts and doesn't really know what I'm looking for other than it's something called an "overdrive." Just trying to find out if this car is even worth investigating.

Jerry you'll have to get your driveshaft shortened on the wagon. For some reason the short wheelbase cars used a shorter transmission instead of a shorter driveshaft. So the OD will be longer then your reg 3spd.

Guest mikeys toy

My friend Jim has a BW o/d from a '57 ford for sale. It's out and ready to go; I'll ask him how much he wants for it.

Mine won't be out for a while, but it will be a complete swap over.

Not sure what you are getting at but a ford OD will not swap into a mopar. Little OD history- The 3 musketeers at Chrysler engineering invented the idea. Walter said the tooling was too expensive so sell the idea to Warner gear. So they did and Borg Warner made OD units for many makes of cars.

I've heard some of the electrics on the stude units are similar enough to swap too but otherwise I think they are all make specific.

After talking to George, I found out that the OD from the Studebaker will not work in our Mopars. Some parts are interchangeable but as a swap, it won't work. This Studebaker, by the way, is in great shape. It's a Commander and was on the road as recently as 2000. I don't know what it's doing in this boneyard. The interior is very good and so is the outside. All the glass is intact. The yard is closing down as soon as the sale goes through and I don't know what will happen to this car, so maybe it would be a good idea to spread the word in case someone wants to rescue it. The place is Blackburn's Auto Salvage in Hyannis, MA.