Brake shoe lining adhesive?

Alexander

the glue on these if I remember the prcoess..(they did these at the shop mid 70's when I worked as a wrench for Ford) was a glue that is heat set under pressure..without the jig to strap and apply the needed and heat and pressure..not sure you could get a safe bond that would hold and prevent it popping loose after a braking cycle and locking up the rear wheel at speed..

Less than 200 miles ? How about returning them to the seller for replacement or repair ? Sometimes not possible . How about bringing them to a reline shop for glueing ? The Gorila glue is great stuff , but as Tim says , there are safety issues . I carved a set of brake pedal pads out of an old tire and glued them to the top of my brake and clutch pedals with Gorila glue about a year ago and they haven't come off , they just set flush on the pedals with no overlap . I recently bought an emergency brake band on epay with new lining riveted on and the lining wasn't put on very well , I might glue that on but that is not used the same way as your regular brakes .

Although the brakes have less then 200 miles on the they are 5 years old.

the wheel cylinder leaked DOT 3 on to them.

did I tell everyone how I hate DOT3. I am now flushing and converting to silicone DOT 5.

I am not sure I know who relines brakes around hear. I guess Ill just have to look around. Perhaps the place Ed speaks of may do the job.

I am not sure I know where to find a brake shop. Ill try to search for one on the internet.

Thanks,

I would forget the internet to find a local shop. Best way to find a local shop would be to either check with people at an auto service shop or a parts house like NAPA to see where they get their shoes and pads relined. Or, the phone book. Being someplace like NJ I'd bet there is at least one place within a 50 mile radius of where you live.

Alex,

The name of the place is Manalapan Brake Parts. No more than 10 miles from anywhere in Monroe.

Take Applegarth Rd. or Perrineville Rd. to Route 33 and make a left towards Freehold. It's about 3 miles up on the right, past the bowling alley.

I passed there nearly every day in my prior job with a home construction company.

Any place that works with commercial vehicle brakes, should be able to bond on new brake material. I would't screw around with fluid soaked shoes. The place I used here does brakes for everything that moves from carosels to elevators. The have the material, skill, and equipment needed to reattach new material to your hardware.

Thanks guys. I tried the local brake place in Manalapan, but they did not do this kind of stuff. most place I stoped off at did not want to even bother to talk to me about it. After asking around the local shops, I came across an industrial machine shop that also does bonding of clutches and brakes.

It was an amazing experience. A true old school place that was set up by the owner over 50 years ago. The owner must seems to be 80 years. when they called for him he was in the middle of machining some new part for an inventor. Great guy with amazing amounts of technical knowledge in machining and industrial chemistry.

Its sad to see these kinds people and places becoming few and far between.

my brake shoe should be ready for pick up tomorrow.

Cheers

Alex

"did I tell everyone how I hate DOT3. I am now flushing and converting to silicone DOT 5."

Just a reminder you must change all rubber in all cyls master and wheel. You cannot just flus- my neighbor found out the hard way but his emergency brake kinda worked!!! Seriously the residue of the dot 3 somehow don't mix with the silicone and deteriorating starts in.

Also I have read an article in mustang mag that the silicone system is for basically limited uses such as racing and prolonged use is not proven on old systems- just what I read.

My sons mustang has silicone and local man I trust really pesters me about changing back.

Lou

silicone under extreme heat turns to sand...not so much when the brakes get hot in a sealed system..ah but consider the ole leaking vacuum booster..this will suck up silicone fluid should the master rear seal fail along/at the same time producing sand in the conbustion chamber...

Tim, I apologies I am not sure I follow you.

Are you referring to "Silicon" as in the element Si or "Silicone" as in the the synthetic polymer.

I am not aware of Silicone changing being able to change to sand at hi heat.

I have used it with great results on my 51 coronet. I have also know Jay Leno using it in some of his rare collectibles that he does not drive often.

I trust it should be OK, but I certainly agree that the shoe should be rebound by a pro. It should be ready tomorrow.

Thank you all for the support !

just something you may or may not want to read on that is all..have not used the stuff in I know 15 years..at that time the purple dye used to color the stuff would leave a permanent mark in plastic reservoirs which would lead a user to assume his reservoir is full at first glance..