Clogged Driveway

Don Jordan

This is silly but I have too many projects and it seems they all end up on my driveway. I can't get my Plymouth out.

Question: Is it good or bad to just start it up in the garage and let it run for a while. I know it should be on the street but I just run it till the temp gauge moves up and then shut it off.

I've been doing that every winter. Doesn't seem to hurt the car at all.

I would not either expect there is any risk to harm the car by running the engine in the garage. However, sometimes the human spectators are known to have fainted or in extreme passed away...

...then again: there is also a known risk for similar headache when enjoying our favorite drinks...

/pekka

When our neighbor worked on his cars during the winter, mostly dual exhaust rods, he had flex pipe that passed through a garage wall for venting. What was neater than that was he worked on hvac for a living, so he ran a fresh air inlet from the roof with furnace pipe and flex to attatch directly to the carb! No negative pressure in the garage was his goal, and of course a breathable atmosphere.

FRANKIE47

I would not either expect there is any risk to harm the car by running the engine in the garage. However, sometimes the human spectators are known to have fainted or in extreme passed away...

...then again: there is also a known risk for similar headache when enjoying our favorite drinks...

/pekka

I guess I should have added to have the car pulled into the garage, not backed in. Then if the overhead door is open, the exhaust goes out the door. Also, you really don't have to sit in the car. I just start mine up and let it run while I'm doing something else in the house or outside. I don't sit in the garage with it until I'm ready to turn it off. If I do stay in the garage I also open the side door and let the air circulate.

That said, I do have a detached garage so none of the fumes go into the house. If you have an attached garage I'd move the car outside the garage to let it run so you don't fill up the house with exhaust fumes and carbon monoxide.

/pekka

I guess I should have added to have the car pulled into the garage, not backed in. Then if the overhead door is open, the exhaust goes out the door. Also, you really don't have to sit in the car. I just start mine up and let it run while I'm doing something else in the house or outside. I don't sit in the garage with it until I'm ready to turn it off. If I do stay in the garage I also open the side door and let the air circulate.

That said, I do have a detached garage so none of the fumes go into the house. If you have an attached garage I'd move the car outside the garage to let it run so you don't fill up the house with exhaust fumes and carbon monoxide.

Sorry, but I could not resist commenting your conversation; "Is it bad to run a car indoors?" -"No, it does not seem to hurt the car at all!"

I knew you are not that suicidal, but the pitch line were just too good to leave alone.

In the wintertime I try to run my car about once a month. I will start it up and move it back and forth a few times and let it run on fast idle with the throttle for at least twenty minutes. Running the car for a shorter period will develop condensation in the exhaust system and if let idle (with a generator) it will not charge the battery.

This is silly but I have too many projects and it seems they all end up on my driveway. I can't get my Plymouth out.

Question: Is it good or bad to just start it up in the garage and let it run for a while. I know it should be on the street but I just run it till the temp gauge moves up and then shut it off.

If you close all doors and windows, start the car up, and stay in the garage.... it is definitely bad..... take it from someone who did air testing in enclosed places....

Allan

when running engine inside even with the door up..a 20 inch box fan in front of the car is a nice addition...(please turn the fan on and opoin toward the grille) Norm could use a 100 foot extension cord and mount the fan on his bumper for all the driving he does...

I have a nice floor model fan on a stand at the rear of the garage to circulate/blow the air out the overhead, plus the side door is at the rear of the garage. Lots of ventilation in there when both doors are open, even without the fan. The fan is not so much for circulation though, it is primarily used to blow the mosquito's out in the summer.:D Basically though, I do the same as Brenden. I usually pull the car out of the garage to let it run in the winter. That keeps everything else moving to.

Tim, I'll bet I've driven my coupe a lot more miles on the road than you've driven your old Mopar's.:D