OT house work

Young Ed

Since I accidentally put my old car projects on hold (pun intended) I starting working on some house projects again. In the middle of my window project on memorial day weekend my parents found me some blocks at a garage sale. Picked them up for $15. I think they are limestone. Anyway last night they went from a pile on the sidewalk to a planter.

DSC01213.jpg

DSC01836.jpg

Ed;

I think a road trip would get you out of the house work. Anyway it looks like she has everything under her control. Especially you..:D You don't have the HONEY DO list do you?

I sure know from experience I do. Call it what you will...:eek:

Take Care and God Bless you All..John 47Plevy

Did you recieve the emails I sent about donor cars?

Nope no honey do list yet. Its only my house so far. So I do what I want.

I did get your emails about the donor cars. Haven't jumped at any of them yet. Something right will come along.

So I do what I want.

Looks to me like you have taken lessons from Uncle Reg. I must assume you are sitting in a lounge chair sippin on a soda while Red does all the work. Good idea to break them in early on so as they dont get confused later and expect you to help out with foolish yard work. As you age you will realise that used motor oil works as well as roundup and when properly applied to your lawn and (what the hell ever a planter box is:confused: ) garden that it will no longer be necessary to even mow the yard.

Ed,

I don't envy you on that job.:rolleyes: When we bought our house in 73 we had two retaining walls made out of lannon stone. Each were 75 feet wide by about 2 feet high, on the hill way in the back of the yard on the hill. Each year the frost would heave at least one or two sections of the walls, then I would have to rebuild it. After doing that for about 3 or 4 years I decided to remove them and taper the hill down. Those stones get heavy.:( I removed the lower wall first and stacked all the lannon stone next to the garage. Called the city to see if they would take it. They sent someone out to look at the stack from the one hill. Guy said it would cost me $60 a ton to have it hauled away. Said he estimated I had about 5 tons that I had stacked next to the garage. Luckily someone in the sanitation dispatch office heard about all the lannon stone I had sitting there and called and offered to buy it to build a patio with at his new house. Told him come take what he wanted, it's free!! He made countless trips with his station wagon and took the whole pile. Then said he needed more. Told him the other wall was coming down soon and he could take whatever he wanted off that wall. He ended up removing that whole wall for me.:D :D So........you couldn't give me any of that stuff after that. Even several of my neighbors removed those walls because they had the same problems.

P.S. Don't let old Don Coatney BS you. His wife has flower gardens around their house too, and I'll bet old Don is out there once in a while too. If he poured motor oil on them, I think he'd have some knots on his head from the rolling pin.:D Don't forget Don, I overheard the conversation about flower gardens between Lisa and my wife during our little ride in your Plymouth.

Don doesn't fool me. Besides I had plans for this planter long before Carmon came along. Just happened to get a deal on the stones and then get around to building it.

I should add that I hauled all those blocks in 1 load in the dakota(it was pretty low!) and built that whole wall between 5 and 7 last night. Norm you gotta pick up the pace!

Ed, I'm not quite as young as you are. As you get older those stones will get heavier.:D That said, it didn't take me but a few nights after work to remove that first wall I mentioned. I was about your age then though. It did take that guy a lot of trips to haul the stones home though. He could only take between 3 and 5 at a time. That sat his full size 70's wagon down in the back pretty good. He even mentioned that the car overheated on one trip because he took too many stones at once. He only had about 6 or 7 miles to go between houses too. I told him he could just come anytime and haul them away even when we weren't home.

When he started removing the stones from the upper wall, I left my wheel barrel out all the time for him to haul them to his wagon. He came while we were eating dinner one night (as usual) and loaded some from the top hill. Then he came to the door and said he broke the wheel on the wheel barrel and would replace it. Told him not to worry the wheel barrel it would be fixed by the time he was ready to come back and he didn't owe me anything for it.:D By the time he came the next night the wheel barrel was all fixed and ready to haul. Didn't want to discourage him from taking the whole hill of stones. My momma didn't raise no fool. Better he lift all those stones than me.:D :D

Ed..this will take your mind off other things and get you in good standing all at the same time..besides..I bet the weather is just perfect for doing this work about now...we had a very cool morning and it is just an excellent day out there now..fixing to hit the shop in just a few minutes..

Thanks Tim. That was kinda the idea. Actually if I would have known it would go that quickly I probably would have done it months ago. I am quite pleased with the results. Still on the market for some front end parts. Nothing has turned up locally yet.

That was certainly the case this time. I just decided I was going to start. Next thing I knew I was finished! Only issue is that one brick in the middle layer at the very left of the pic makes the top row stick up. May have to rearrange that one or try taking a hammer to the lumpy part.

That was certainly the case this time. I just decided I was going to start. Next thing I knew I was finished! Only issue is that one brick in the middle layer at the very left of the pic makes the top row stick up. May have to rearrange that one or try taking a hammer to the lumpy part.

From the picture and angle, looks like you could just flip it 180 degrees (east-west) and things should level out just fine...

Allan