Engine sitting for 20 yrs.

brian hood

Hey,

I am starting on an engine that has been sitting for 20 years (+/-). I have changed the oil, and I am soaking the cyl 's in mystery oil for a few days. The gas tank and cooling systems are empty. Is there any thing else that I should do before trying to start it? It is a small Hemi. ( It's really going to be SUCH a sweet ride!)

Brian

cool motor! If it's locked up and it has a manual tranny-put it in third gear and rockit back and forth..it broke my 50 loose. Also ANYTHING you can lube-lube....generator,waterpump etc. I put penetrating oil in each cyl. and let it set..rocked it added more...let it set. Patience is key. If the motor isn't froze up, I got mine to fire with fogging oil. Good luck, keep us posted as to your progress!:)

Do you have the plugs out when you are turning it with the fan belt? If so sounds like its pretty good inside. I'd still oil all those rocker arms and shafts. They are most likely quite dry from sitting and it will take the motor a little bit to pump oil up to them. Sounds like you are ready to try it otherwise. What size hemi is this?

You've confirmed that the engine is not froze. With the plugs out use the starter to turn over the engine until you get an oil pressure indication. This will go a long ways in making sure things are lubricated before she fires off. Once your satisfied that the oil pump has done what is supposed to do put the plugs back in and fire her up.

If the engine turns freely I would put a battery to it and crank it with the coil wire removed until th oil pressure gage starts moving-when it moves oil has gone thru the bearings etc. This is what engine builders do first. then pour some gas in carb re attach the coil and see if you get fire and starting. if so put 3 to 5 gals of gas in tank pour more into carb and fire that sucker off.

If I remember correctly James rebuilt that engine 20 years ago and did not run it much. He is the guy that rebuilt the 218 u got from me

Lou

I'd recommend priming it like a newly built motor before cranking it. You want to make sure the oil lines are clear and the bearings are lubed before you turn it much. Run the oil pump with a slow speed drill for a few minutes. Don't know the oil pump set up on your engine, but a common method for a pump driven off the distributor shaft is to get a spare shaft, remove the gears, insert it and attach the drill to the end the rotor attaches to. Has to be run the same direction as the engine would turn it.

I'd recommend priming it like a newly built motor before cranking it. You want to make sure the oil lines are clear and the bearings are lubed before you turn it much. Run the oil pump with a slow speed drill for a few minutes. Don't know the oil pump set up on your engine, but a common method for a pump driven off the distributor shaft is to get a spare shaft, remove the gears, insert it and attach the drill to the end the rotor attaches to. Has to be run the same direction as the engine would turn it.

Wll this work on a hemi? I do that on fords but unable to o it on flatheads so I remove plugs and cranki until I see oil gage moves

I did not suggest removing plugs because he said engien turns freely but it cannot hurt

Lou