amp gauge wiring after 12v conversion???

tankwilson

I rewired my car to 12v this past winter and just connected the two wires that go to the amp gauge together (bypassing the gauge). Now i am trying to wire the amp gauge and i can't seem to get the needle to move when wired up. I am running a Mopar aternator with an external voltage reg. Can anyone tell me where the wires should go so that i can make sure i am doing it right?

thanks

ifnot wired right it will mearly read backwards

I never bother to change the wire on amp meter just reads backwards

To test- turn on lights and see if it moves - if moves it is working if not move something is not connected. you can push the brake pedal and see movement usually if it is ok

Lou

I am not sure how you wired your car. But the amp meter only reads current flow. And if the current flow is not wired through the amp meter it will not read anything. If the output from your alternator returns directly to the battery and not through the amp meter your amp meter will not show a current flow even though your charging system is working.

The amp meter should be wired so that it only reads current in or out of the battery. If you alt is putting out a bunch of current to run the engine and the battery is fully charged, then it reads 0. When you start the car, if all is working correctly, the gauge should show charge until the battery is re-charged . If your load is more than the alt can produce, the gauge will show a discharge. (low rpm and the lights on for example)

kai

all feed must run through the am guage with exception for the starter...if you have merely run you exciting voltage through..it will never indicate..the verify your meter is good..simply diconnect it and jumper in a lead from the battery to one side..the other to your component..headlight with both elements wires to burn and on to ground..when the path through the lamp to ground is completed..you should see about..8 to 8.5 amps of current drain and if not wire polarity wise..will just indicate charge..

what regulator are you running..is this a later model dual fiel with transistorized circuit or the earlier with eltro-magnet coils?..

The amp meter should be wired so that it only reads current in or out of the battery. If you alt is putting out a bunch of current to run the engine and the battery is fully charged, then it reads 0. When you start the car, if all is working correctly, the gauge should show charge until the battery is re-charged . If your load is more than the alt can produce, the gauge will show a discharge. (low rpm and the lights on for example)

kai

On my car I tapped the battery or the starter solenoid for power for the headlight relay and the electric fan, so whenever they come on the ammeter shows a high charge, because the alternator has stepped up to replace the power being diverted. Had to think about it a bit before it made sense to me.

Marty

Marty

You are correct. If you go of the solenoid the amp meter is going to show charge when these items are runniing/ The car does not know the difference between charging the battery and running your tapped equipment.

May I suggest you find tap before the amp meter. You can not tell if the battery is charging or discharging the way you have it hooked up.

kai

Meant no disrespect from that comment. I understand your ability. But a little reading goes a long way, and, its goof reference material.

No problem I have a manual and wire high end motocycles for a living just never wired a car before especially one that has been changed from 6 to 12V

Thanks Tim Adams. Your answer is the one i am looking for. I will check it out.

I know its charging and i figured that if the needle moves its working. I guess i need to go back and make sure my wires going to my amp gauge are coming and going from the correct places.