front end

kiwi mopar

Thats an interesting question.......theres a bolt on the outer(wheel)end/side, would that undo, then use a puller to pull the other end of the arm off a splined(?) shaft coming outa the shock absorber?.........just a guess as without seeing the way the arms fit onto the shock shafts I'd be guessing......I only have workshop manuals from 1936.........sorry can't offer more advice........andyd in Oz

The common name for this is knee action shock. It was used by many car makers and is an integral part of the front suspension. I had a 39 Olds sedan with them and they were locked up/frozen in place. The only bounce was from the tires. I have heard that there are still places that will rebuild them if they are usable as a good core. Check Hemmings for replacements or rebuilders.

Kiwi, I'd clean the whole thing up as there maybe a spline/whatever thats hidden, but its possible that the arm is just pressed onto the shafts on either side or even welded, but with that bolt on the outer part it does look like it should come apart somehow.......have seen plenty of these type of things on GM and pommy stuff but didn't know mopar was cursed by them also, good luck, let us know what happens.........andyd in Oz

Before u do all that- I had a 39 Pontiac with that and now have a 49 caddy and a 34 Plymouth with that set up. It provides an excellent, I mean ,very smooth ride. The small nut on the top is for lubrication- put hydraulic jack oil in there that is what it is a hydraulic system. I did that on mine and they came back to life on the caddy. also the 2 big knobs are adjustments I have forgotten how they work but they do work . I got a huge syringe from the vet and a big needle and used that to fill the shocks. Give that a try u might be very pleasntly surprised

Lou