clutch does not disengage

Lou Earle

I have an old Triumph that the clutch disc sticks to the flywheel when not used for long periods of time. I can ususlly break it loose by starting in second or third gear with clutch depressed and driving it until it releases, about 50 to 100 feet. When the torque starts to come up it overcomes the stuck surface and releases. Now you have to have a clear place to do this as once it starts it will not stop until the clutch releases or you turn the key off.

Lou,

According to my mechanic friend that is normal if the car sits for a long time. Guess the clutch plate gets a little rust from condensation and the disc sticks to it due to the rust. I had that problem with my brand new clutch back when I was working on the interior after the rebuild of the clutch and engine. So.....it may happen again. The cure for it is just what you did. Another way to solve the problem is to keep the clutch pedal all the way to the floor when the car isn't driven.

By the way, you can also break it loose starting it in reverse.