DIY Radio Mods?

49plymouthdotcom

Anyone modify their own radios? I am aware that there are services out there, but I enjoy doing my own work, especially electrical. I like to solder and have built my own guitar effect pedals. I was thinking about putting RCA jacks and a switch in the side or back of the radio. Plug an ipod into the RCA jacks and use the switch to toggle it as the input. The radio would act as an amp and stay 6v.

Otherwise I thought about using a power inverter to run a small amp for an ipod setup.

Anyone have the schematic for the 803?

Remind me to look. I think I have one at home. My 51 ply came with a DIY radio repair book and I think it should have that one in it. A guy in our club modified my radio for my 48 to do basically what you are doing.

At one point I was looking to find Am/FM solid state board to retro fit in to the tube radio. But no one wanted to sell me one. its a big trade secret and they charge big bucks to convert your tube radio in to Am/FM.

If any one knows where we can buy these Am/FM solid-state boards please let us know. I cant imagine it being to hard to do especially if you know electronics.

I end up fixing the tube radio by changing out all the wax paper capacitors. The radio works great, but I sure would love to have FM via the orginal radio.

Remind me to look. I think I have one at home. My 51 ply came with a DIY radio repair book and I think it should have that one in it. A guy in our club modified my radio for my 48 to do basically what you are doing.

Interesting...very interesting... Wouldn't mind checking out that book. Any contact info for the club guy?

Dennis_MN: Nice link! I was on there last night and just about got lost!

I was thinking about putting RCA jacks and a switch in the side or back of the radio. Plug an ipod into the RCA jacks and use the switch to toggle it as the input.

I had Bob's Radio and TV in California do my radio. I had them put balance fade, base, and treble controls on the side of the case, along with RCA jacks.

The old "tone" button on the front of the radio now toggles between am/fm/RCA jacks. There is a small LED on the face of the radio that changes color depending on which input the toggle is set to, so you can tell by looking. All of the other factory controls and presets still work as normal.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably make a hinge for the dash/radio face plate, to make the dash look stock, and put a modern deck behind it for a fraction of the cost and much better sound quality.

As it is, it looks completely stock, but is a four channel stereo in am and fm with provision for my Ipod.

Pete

post-41-1358534835354_thumb.jpg

post-41-13585348354171_thumb.jpg

post-41-13585348354527_thumb.jpg

Pete looks like they did a great job on your radio, clean and neat.

Question: does anyone know where I can buy the circuit board that's in pets radio? I would propbably know what to do with it, if only i can get one.

Pete: does the circuit board have any manufacture/model or reference number stamped on it that I can maybe Google?

Thanks

Alex

Bob, good thought. I have exploeder that avenue, but it not the easy. most AM/FM radios are 12 volt neg ground. what make this circute unique is that is 6 volt with a built in 88 watt amp.

I have even thought of using a househiold portable radio that runs on 6 volts, but I cant find anything that is sutible. what key is to be able to use the tube radio's orginal tuning block to oprate the soldstate tunner.

For those who had these radios converted: If its not too much trouble please let me know if there is any stamping on the electronic board that would give away the manufature and or company that makes them

Thanks,

Alex

Pete looks like they did a great job on your radio, clean and neat.

Question: does anyone know where I can buy the circuit board that's in pets radio? I would propbably know what to do with it, if only i can get one.

Pete: does the circuit board have any manufacture/model or reference number stamped on it that I can maybe Google?

Thanks

Alex

Alex-

My converson is 12v negative ground... and the radio is buried under the dash of my car, so I can't get at it to see if there are any manufacturer markings on the boards inside the case.

Pete

At one point I was looking to find Am/FM solid state board to retro fit in to the tube radio. But no one wanted to sell me one. its a big trade secret and they charge big bucks to convert your tube radio in to Am/FM.

If any one knows where we can buy these Am/FM solid-state boards please let us know. I cant imagine it being to hard to do especially if you know electronics.

I end up fixing the tube radio by changing out all the wax paper capacitors. The radio works great, but I sure would love to have FM via the orginal radio.

This?

http://www.ferret.com.au/c/Westek-Electronics/Ophir-solid-state-broadband-20-1000MHz-RF-amplifier-n679188

I bought a cheap ($15.00) and I had intended to just pull the guts out and mount it inside a 602 chassis. So far I've just tossed it into the glove box and tune it from there. I use a 12v inverter to power the thing. I originally tried to use a mopar radio from a kcar but it had a remote solid lc display that I screwed up.

Dennis

Thanks Alan, I looked the both links, but it does not seem they will work. one is an amp, the other is an AM radio.

buying a cheap Fm radio and transferring its guts in to the Mopar 802 is the perfect idea, but I still have not found a suitable donor radio.

the hunt continues.

cheers

Alex