Most customized 49 I ever saw,,,, at Goodguys

jd52cranbrook

Sometimes I am amazed at the narrow mindedness of this site. Then I think more about it, and realize all forums have their "click".

JD...I guess I'm guilty of being in the "narrow-minded group" because I don't find these customs at all appealing. Sometimes they are so distrorted after being so hacked up that you can't even tell what kind of car it was afterwards, as seen on the expression on the faces of the people in this pic, I noticed..he he he:

49_Ply4.jpg

As I have said before, the customization of our Plymouths and Dodges, as well as any other classic car, is nothing but a bastardization of a great American piece of history and puts the cars at a point of no return. They do nothing for me and I get a depressed feeling when I see them. Kind of like how some people here mentioned how they cringed while watching the Plymouths get ruined in the movie "Christine." Again, it's all a matter of opinion and not so much a "clique." I know I speak for some others on here who probably choose not to express the same feelings I do for fear of angering some of the members, but that's the neat thing about opinions...you can take them or leave them. Just because someone farts doesn't mean it smells good. I know there are some on here that have customized their Mopars, and that's fine because it's their choice...just not a choice that I would make. Again, I'm merely giving my opinion and may make me seem as kind of classic car snob, but I don't think having a freedom of choice and opinion is being narrow-minded.

Now, the light blue DeSoto above would get my attention all day. :cool:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darin;

Are you not guilty of the same bastardization. Your car is modified severly with 12 volt conversions, overdrive, modified exhaust, and such. Some folks have simply extended there line in the sand beyond your personal limits. Give them a break:rolleyes: They did what they wanted to do the same as you did what you wanted to do.

Darin;

Are you not guilty of the same bastardization. Your car is modified severly with 12 volt conversions, modified exhaust, and such. Some folks have simply extended there line in the sand beyond your personal limits. Give them a break:rolleyes: They did what they wanted to do the same as you did what you wanted to do.

Don, point well taken, but I wouldn't call it bastardization, but more of a practical modification, while still keeping to the original, classic look. Again, go back and read my post before "sending me to my room." I said that if it was somthing they wanted to do, that was fine, but it's not something I would do. Again...my opinon. ;)

Again, why spend all that money trying to customizing a classic car when it comes out looking like this in the long run? Chrysler has done it for you already...save a few bucks and save a classic. ;)

ptcruiser.jpg

I bet that if I saw that red 49 in person, i could tell what it was in the

first place. Of course the first hint is they kept the ripple bumpers.

Since Im kinda old, I like some of that old style stuff as done in the

50s and 60s......and the red convert has those touches.

I don't necessarily like all radical custom jobs.....some don't come out

very well in my opinion.

Besides.....we already have a PT Cruiser.

Guilty...and as I prefer automatics..guess that puts me quilty of shiftless bastardization

Tim;

With multiple wives you are guilty of a whole lot more shiftless stuff than we can cuss or discuss here.:D I recently read the book "Escape" about the escape of one of the wives of the recent Texas fiascio. Very interesting reading.

Don, point well taken, but I wouldn't call it bastardization, but more of a practical modification, while still keeping to the original, classic look. Again, go back and read my post before "sending me to my room." I said that if it was somthing they wanted to do, that was fine, but it's not something I would do. Again...my opinon. ;)

Again, why spend all that money trying to customizing a classic car when it comes out looking like this in the long run? Chrysler has done it for you already...save a few bucks and save a classic. ;)

I'm the first one that always says, "it's your car, build it like you want it". That said, I agree with what you say too about making the car into a modern car.

First of all, why do people buy old cars to begin with to build street rods, customs or rebuild into originals? The answer has to be because they liked the looks of the old cars and the nostalgia it brings with it. For the most part they also liked the simplicity of maintaining the old original engines that were not full of computer controls, emission equipment, fuel injection, etc., etc., etc. So.......What happens when some of the street rodders and custom people get their cars. First thing they do is upgraded it to fuel injection, modern blowers, modern engines etc., and installing all the creature features in the interior. Then they cut off the front clip and put a modern front clip on it to get power steering, etc. Now that car has just become a modern car with all the same complexities of a new car when it comes to working on it. It's also lost all it's appeal as an old car and nostalgia. It's now a NEW Street Rod or Custom car. So, as you pointed out, why don't they just buy a new car and drive it.

So...........I'll agree with you on those points. If you are going to build a street rod or custom, I think you should only use such items that were available during that time period. And at the same time only modify the outside with what was done in that period. Frenching headlights and changing grills were done, but not a lot of the stuff you see people do today.

I may not always like the things people do to their cars but I do have admiration for the work they have put into them knowing first hand how much went into them. But The best thing of all is, If ya don't like them don't look!:D As far as tearing up a car that is rare or historic, most of the cars that have been done were produced in the tens of thousands so their is more than one left and their will always be some that are still around pure stock thanks to guys like you.:cool:

I admire the work that goes into them as well. They are for all practical purposes new cars built from scratch. That is a feat. We all know it. I dont understand putting TV's in trunks. It makes no sense to me at all. As far as building radical customs...there was plenty of that back in the day. Big Daddy Roth would likely be building these today. Were I to want to build one of these cars however, I would start with scrap. It would break my heart to cut into something rare or untouched.

I guess some wouldn't like this one either. It was at the Good Guys here several years ago. I thought it was sharp though.

Norm,

As with the 2 original pics.... there are some things that I like, others I don't like..... I like the inlaid interior.... I don't like the steering (I guess you can say I'm a fan of the big ol tractor hubs....).

To go on in general, as Darin put it.... we are all dealing with opinions..... whether right or wrong.... if you want to get down to it, at that period of time, what did you drive??? Why.... didn't matter if it was a chebby, furd or mopar, and what model.... everyone had an opinion, whether it be model, color, style, what options, etc.... everything that was right for ..... THEM....

What do you drive now, and why??? personal choice again.... some for look, some for practical reasons, etc.... which is why this is a great site... we discuss things rationally even though we don't necessarily like the same things..... the PT cruiser made me think of that because, even though I just called it a bastardization of the "original" 40's-50's car, I do like it.... but I find that particular color really makes it UGLY.... the blue version, however, I like..... Just like the new Charger... I hate it... why... 4 door....as simple as that.... The new challenger.... I'd want one.... but it would have to be the orange or the lime green (even though I hate green), I wouldn't mind having the challenger in that shade..... I'd like a big pickup to haul things around, but I like my S10 due to its practicality....

As long as we keep posting different things, and continue discussing them rationally as we do.... I'm definitely going to post more things I like, and I hope others do too... even if I'm in disagreement with what they like.... at least here we can say so without worrying about a flame war....

Allan

A friend of mine had the stupid thought process everytime he saw a nice original car he would stand by it and look to see if the owner was around then say so they could hear " Yep the first thing that car needs is a cuttin torch to get that garbage motor out and drop a small block chevy it it!" He had no couth at all! The best part is he would knock my Mopars and say what a plie of garbage they are and how his Chevys will eat them up in any race, but he passed away before we got to race. His kid builds race motors for some big name guys and he started working on Mopars through them and he soon found out what potential they have and now he rarely works on a sbc.:D

Darin, I feel the same way you do about customs; they just leave me cold. For me the joy of an old car is the nostalgic feel you get from all the old technology as well as the old look appeal. I appreciate the fact anyone can do anything they want to their old car and also appreciate the work that goes into a rod or custom. However, I just like them stock and like you that nice blue stock Desoto would appeal more to me than any of the customs.