Most customized 49 I ever saw,,,, at Goodguys

jd52cranbrook

Yep.... just like the 2 customs on this page.... I like the one Glenn posted... a lot... I love the bubble cruiser skirts (with the skirt part removed...bet he's got them around somewhere), I love the fact that he put a hemi into it (since I'm a mopar into mopar, furd into furd, chebby into chebby person), love the idea of the 51 front end (hood and fenders) with the lead sled peaked hood, rounded and molded hood..... but the 49 vert that Don posted... I personally find butt ugly.... except for the color and the fact its a vert.... I don't like the front end and grill, I don't like the steering wheel (I'd hate it even more if it had an airbag...... eh Tim??? :D At least if he didn't know what I didn't like, he does now :D) I don't like the dash, and I definitely don't like the fins and taillights.... but, once again that is me..... when I'm done with my car, and I post final pics, I may expect some oohs and aahs, but I will expect the "well you shoulda done this, shoulda done that...." and I'll accept it, because everyone's opinion on it will differ... but as Tim said;

"will his comment change my mind..in no manner...will it piss me off..not in the least..will I continue on my car..dang straight..I'm having fun and that is what counts.."

And here, on this forum, is where I have the most fun..... I've got about 2 people up here that I can "talk" to about my car (and understand me), what I've done, what I'm going to do, and things I'm happy/sad/pissed off about.... but here... I've got a family that I can share my experiences with like with the 2 up here... and it brings me closer to all of ya.... whether you're across the world or just in the next province or state.... that is what this place is all about.... and whether or not you can say there is a "click" here or not.... so be it.....I've seen a heck of a lot worse on every single other forum I've been on to date.... being sworn at, treated like an imbecile, etc..... and its a lot more fun having discussions than having flame wars every other thread......

Don't take any comments here too whole heartedly (sometimes is difficult, but that is human nature)... I'd rather call you a friend than call you by any other name.....

Allan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allan..most times I drive with two wives in the car...at least this third AIRBAG grants me some level of protection...as I like the all in one steering columns with everything at your finger tips...may as well make it all work...may be a bit better than the stock death lance..

Hehe, I hear you Tim..... I guess one of the beefs I have with it is the fact that in Quebec, modifications to cars are not well seen (as compared to the rest of Canada and the US.... try and remove an airbag, and its off the road.... add an airbag, and you can no longer remove it.....

Allan

see ya point...the europeans have similar rules..it would irk a native to no end that we could bring modified cars overseas and they could not do the same..that is why there are a few limitied production cars in europe so they can be entered into the rallies..once a deisgn is factory done..duplicating it was not a problem it seems.

I have a friend that enjoys opera. It drives me up the wall - like fingers down a chalk board. But I don't make fun of him because opera is still an art and it's an art he enjoys. I gotta tell you I couldn't do it.

A friend of mine just spent $30,000 on a painting that for want of a better explanation looked like very colorful vomit. It is considered art and I can't do it but he sure enjoyed it.

I know a guy that collects cars. Lots of money involved. Couldn't tell you why but he has cop cars. 28 Ford that I like but others that make no sense to me. You know what - he likes them - to him it's art.

It's interesting (remember back in the 60s - smoking what ever that was) trying to define art. Can't be done. No matter what the genre.

I tried to paint a car once - could not do it. So when I look at the paint job on that car I have to say it is art. I tried to bondo a dent one time - was not perfect. So when I look at the time and effort spent just on the radiator frame - it's art.

This is a long way around but my point is I look at that car a lot like I look at opera. There are people that enjoy it - I wish them well.

didn't mean to go on and on. I was trying to explain a thought - sometimes for me that's an art.:D

I have a friend that enjoys opera. It drives me up the wall - like fingers down a chalk board.

my point is I look at that car a lot like I look at opera.

Does that mean that looking at cars drives you up the wall, since you look at opera that way???? :D

(couldn't resist).....

Allan

Whups.... I guess you mean that specific car...... :D Teaches me to read everything before I post..... including the specific "THAT" (btw is it the first one or the second one that's operetic?)

I would drive the wheels off that thing!! Sure you will get a few chips and whatnot, but man would it be bitchen to drive!

I would too. You bet ya. Thing is, I drive my P23 maybe 15,000 a year, and I still get out to polish it when going to a show, or cruise in. Bugs or no bugs, I believe they have to be driven. That's was just another reason I was impressed with this car, or owner. He was out till midnight with it. Now he may trailer it home, I'm not sure, but it was very cool to see going down the road, in line with the other cruisers, who may or may not have worked on their own car, or got it by writing a check.

To me, it was nice to see a Mopar of these years holding it's own, and then some compared to these other cars. I may not agree on certain mods done, but I would certainly shake that guys hand and complement him/her on the work done.

As far as the other items I posted here, I did not mean to start a ruckus over it, but I still stand by what I said. I am not the most knowledgeable, but try to help where I can, by at least posting documentation I have if someone needs anything. And I have received tons of good info from the good people of this site. But I am also a realist, and do speak my mind, sometimes before thinking everything through.

But I would definitely drive the heck out of that car.

Also, I'm John,,,,, not sure if posted Glenn somewhere? If I did my mistake.

Well Glenn.... errr John.... :D If that guy drives it around all night, its a plus in my books..... I'd be driving it around myself too....Compared to other lead sleds, you don't see many of the Chryslers out there... mainly Mercs, Olds, Buick sedanettes, etc.... feels good to see em.....

Its a place for everyone to put their input in... if we didn't, we wouldn't have such a great forum.... and I wouldn't qualify this thread as a ruckus.... not in the least.... I wish I knew if they were cruzin bubble skirts (complete) and how they were made though....

Allan

Sometimes I am amazed at the narrow mindedness of this site. Then I think more about it, and realize all forums have their "click".

I really don't see the clicks, but did get into hot water by a few for having a chebby 350 in my 49 Plymouth. It is refreshing to see some other 49 Plymouths that have been customized. the first one is far over the top of what I have done to mine. I appreciate what he did to his vehicle just as I appreciate what some of you guys have done to make sure your vehicle looks just like it did when it came out of the factory. Stock is not my thing, but I sure can appreciate one that has been done well. All in all, this forum is great and the rubbing by the "purists" can be rather fun. if you look in my profile, you will see my customized 49 Plymouth. I am way out of town on vacation and my laptop does not have any pics on it of my Plymouth that will fit on the forum. Bud :D :D

Many of my friends and neighbors are professional(they make a living at it) or semi-professional artist. I consider what I do to the design and features of all my rides to be artistic for the skill I use and interpretation I express. I don't let them disrespect my efforts just because you can not hang it on the wall. At the Guggenheim in New York within the last year was an exhibit of automobiles from a local artist that had been restored to some degree and HUNG in the museum. That curator considered those works high enough art to be displayed. Artistic and creative ,Frank

It's interesting (remember back in the 60s - smoking what ever that was) trying to define art. Can't be done. No matter what the genre.

Don, I'm still doing it.. Trying to define art, I mean.

JD, best thing about this forum to me is the wide range of taste as well as expertise. And the strange way everyone can disagree, agree, whatever, in such a mellow manner, yourself included. It's a great place and I always enjoy your posts as much as all the rest. Glad you found the place!

As I see it, Don's only negative comment about the convert was the fact

that the occupants jumped out and gave it a spit shine.....just for a

cruise-in. Guess maybe it might be their new toy and they wanted to

present it well....maybe they haven't been to very many cruises......

Can't fault them for that, really.

I like the period Cadillac style tail fins and the 59 Chevy dash.

The license plate kinda says it all.

A neat car all in all. As was the first one with the speakers in the

trunk. I also enjoy seeing what others dream up to do to these old

cars.......my saying is "they are only limited by their imagination and

their wallet".:)

And speaking of smoking something......did any of you old hippie

types have a "fro" like this guy????:D

101_7801.jpg

the first car had lots of details i found very interesting but i personally just wouldn't use them; it seemed to me that front to back the car started off looking neat and "organized" and then the rear end got all "fussy" and distracting. then again, Keller's shoeboxes are tough to customize well. the ragtop had some cool touches but i felt that the off-the-shelf Grant wheel and the incongruous vent window mirrors let it down. the Impala dash was a cool touch.

the billion-watt sound systems just don't make it with me. i'd much rather hear the engine or the conversation than boompty-ooop going on.

(my Dad gets pretty riled by the constant "rock-n-roll" at car shows; he tells me that in his day it was country music or nothing... )

When I made my original post, I didn't mean to start anything. I attend a few car shows. I park is any avaible space and spend all my time walking and looking at all of the cars. I talk to a lot of people about their cars, when I get tired I get in my car and go home. I tryed the sit behind your car thing one time, boring. Since I do not drink and drive afterwards I can usually purchase something to drink on location so do not need a cooler or chairs. My car needs the inside redone and new paint so do not need a detail kit. I just go to have fun, love to drive the old car.

Hey I had a chance to see the car this weekend as well. I thought it was very very nice. The quality of the work was top notch. I will post a few more pics of the show tomorrow as well as a very customized P-15 that should get everyone wound up. Sorry I didn't catch ya down there JD. I had a great time and couldn't have asked for better weather! Off to bed...we just got back to Oregon so I will get the pics up later! Best Wishes - Nate

Here is another 49 vert that was at one of the Friday night shindigs in the

Boro. This car arrived under its own power and as soon as it did the

occupants all jumped out with a squirt can of polish and went to town on it.

The Friday night things are a cruise in not a car show. Bugs and road dust

are the trophies.

I like both of those custom cars.

Don, cleaning the car off right after arriving at the cruise in is not about winning a trophy, it's about pride. I'm sure if my son went to shows he'd win a few trophies with his 80 Firebird that is fully restored. He drives that car every weekend from April - mid November, if he doesn't have to haul something around to mess up the trunk, unless it's likely to rain. A few times he's been at the house with it and we get a sudden shower. Immediately after the shower, he goes out to the Firebird, gets the chammis out of the trunk and wipes the car down. If a bird happens to do it's thing while he's parked here, he'll get some water and clean it off right away. That car is always spotless inside and out. When not driving his Firebird he drives a 94 GMC van. That is always just as clean, but he doesn't wipe it down right after a rain, etc. He's single and lives alone. No matter when you go into his house, it's also spotless. You could eat your dinner off the floor if you wanted it's so clean. Nothing is ever out of place either. So........those people are just proud and want their cars to express that pride, that's why they got the rags and wax out right away and cleaned all those bugs off.

I know this because I use to be that way myself for years. My first wife use to complain all the time when I told her and others to make sure their shoes were clean before getting into the car.:D Now, I have mellowed a bit with age. However, my wife now is the same way I use to be. Her car looks and still smells like the day she bought it new. Her old 90 Sundance also looked the same way when we sold it after she drove it for 12 years. It's all about pride.

Funny you should post the Desoto. My father in law really wanted to buy it. We sat and talked with the owner for a bit. If it wasn't for my mother in law really wanting to see the the '38 Plymouth back on the road first we may well have brought it home. It was in very good shape. The grill and bumpers alone would have been worth what he would have let it go for on Sunday. Wives always seem to bring too much common sense with them to shows. :D

By the way John...it was a long trip to see some cars but we made 4 days out of it. It was more an excuse to get out of town than anything.