eBay, and their new games (OT)

_shel_ny

Geez Shel, you made me log into "My Ebay" page. Haven't done that for about a year.

Anyway, the way I read that new policy the seller could still accept money orders or checks if they want to. It's only when you go through the ebay checkout that you will have to use some form of electronic payment, or credit card.

What I found more interesting was the new policy for sellers feedback. If you fall below 4 point something or other in a 12 month period, you will no longer be able to list anything for sale. Guess they don't want any new sellers since a new seller would be below that rating right off the bat. Plus, people like myself who haven't had any sales transactions in the last 12 months.

Makes no difference to me either way though. I don't even surf ebay anymore. Haven't done that for a long time.

Actually, a $125 fee for selling a car isn't bad. What's it cost to run an ad in the newspaper for just a few days or week.

This new lady running it is going to put it into the toilet. They are chasing more people away than they are attracting them. The buyer has all the control in the game now, seller has basically no recourse if they flake. Now that you are going to have to use PayPal their is another fee they are collecting, me I like PP as it is one of the only avenues of recourse from a bad seller, plus it makes a lot eaiser to pay, no running around and getting a m/o and mailing it off and waiting longer to get what you bought.

I can see one good upside to ebay raising their fees for sellers and their rules for forcing buyers to use credit to buy things.

For the past several years it seems a lot of sellers have been shying away from going to swap meets, using ebay instead. It's the same with buyers also shying away from the meets because ebay is easier. That is, if it becomes more expensive with the fees, plus shipping cost going up people may start heading back to the swap meets again like they use to.

I know a lot of you like to sit back and just order stuff over the net. Also, using a credit card to pay is easier. But.........I've never liked using credit cards/debit cards myself. I consider things I buy for my hobby extra and have always liked using cash to buy them with. That way I don't have a bill at the end of the month to worry about getting into the mail. The stuff is paid for when I bring it home. Plus, I like to pick up and look at what I'm buying before I buy it. Especially old used stuff like we buy for our cars.

When it comes to buying a car, I'd never do that over the net, even for a new car. I want to see that in person and drive it, regardless of who's selling it.

Norm..extra money is extra money...either you have it or not...if you have the cash..it is just too easy to pay the card off monthly...I have not paid interest on any card in the past 19 years..use the car, use their money up front, pay off the bill in full..don't get any easier than than..I pay cash for cars..buy from private party so not to pay sales tax and those other documentation fees..

Tim, I just don't like bills of any kind. We don't pay interest either on credit cards because they get paid at the end of the month, when we do use them. We don't even write that many checks anymore either. Only checks we usually write is for groceries, utility bills and taxes.

Here's a strange story about checks and credit cards that just happened to us last week. I thought this one really took the cake.

Last February I switched over to prepaid cell phones because we don't use them that often. When we set the two phones up with AT&T I did it over the phone using a credit card to purchase the phones with. However, they said I needed to go to an AT&T store to buy the cards. So.........that's what we did and I used a check to pay for minutes on both phones or that would last 6 months before renewing. Last week we still had almost all of our airtime left, but the 6 months was up on the 22nd, so on the 20th we went to a different AT&T store to buy a one year card for each phone (extra air time left over is carried forward to new card). Anyway, since the cost was $200 plus tax I figured we'd just write a check. Well...........the guy at the AT&T store said it was against AT&T's policy to accept a check (personal or business) for payment of prepaid phone cards. Said it had to be cash only. I then said, well..........here's a credit card. He then said he couldn't take that either, nor could they take a debit card or electronic payment of any kind. Strictly cash!! So.........had to leave and go back later with the cash.

Now, with such things as electronic transfers with checks and the telecheck system, I don't see what the problem is with them. Also, if a credit card is used they also get their money right away. Some places today just run a blank check through their system to collect the money right away like a debit card.

Point here is, some large places (like AT&T) won't take a check or credit card for all things. Just greenbacks. But........this was the first time something like this has happened to me.

Norm..the stigma with pre-paid is that it people without credit or a very poor credit history/rating can have a cell phone...by choosing to go simple and clean ..you got lumped in with the others..simple as this..if they don't trust my credit and want cash..then in noway can I trust them to honor the contract or service the account..with credit card..you have a slight upper hand to get what you paid for...DISPUTE

Tim,

I assumed that was the reason for AT&T not accepting checks too. But.......that doesn't explain the non acceptance of a credit card or debit card. You get instant approval or disapproval for those when run through the computer or telephone. Once you have that approval, that means the money goes into their account. Plus, all our phones have been with AT&T for years, so they can look up our account (or anyone's instantly) on their own computers if they have AT&T land line service.

We use the prepaid cards because it's much less expensive than regular cell phone service. I think the cheapest monthly charge for just one cell phone is about $38 or $40 per month whether you use it or not. With the prepaid cards we get two cell phones for only $16.66 per month, and more airtime then we'll ever use. We don't use them that often, they are just nice to have in an emergency when out someplace. For example the first 6 months I started out with a balance of $60 worth of airtime (25 cents per minute) for each phone. The other day when I bought renewed with the new card I still had a little over $55 on mine and the wife had about $47 on hers left. Now, that carried over to the new cards. So.........paying $70 or $80 each month for two phones would be a total waste for us when we can get the same service for only $16.66 per month using the prepaid system. I know a lot of people who do this for the same reason I do.

Shel,

I guess I missed the part about new sellers and the occasional sellers. I don't blame you for charging for the boxes, etc. when selling something. After all, it is part of the price even when you buy something in the store.

I check my dsr's after each feedback is left and you can pretty much tell who left what. I gave free shipping and still got nailed on shipping, go figure! I think the dsr's are a joke as their is a lot that do not leave feedback or dsr's. some of these people have no thought process and don't care so one idiot can ruin any "discount" you get. I have one more batch of things to go and that will be it for me selling on their. I had someone make me an offer a week ago and I acceped it within one hour and have not heard nothing from them yet, so I guess I will file the not recived and get the final value back, while I cannot leave them negative no one will know they are flakes!

I rarely do yardsales either...but they can be fun..I had one, actually the wife did...I put an item or two out there..one was brand new..had no need for it but priced it very attractively..well this one guy had an eye for it..came back a number of times..then made a ridculus offer..I refused his offer and he got indignant saying that was all the item was worth and he was being more than fair...I picked up the item..then placed it on the ground and stomped it..then told him it was worth it to see the look on his face...

I've never had a yard sale or garage sale myself. Just never wanted to sell either yet.:D Have gone in with others though on a Rummage sale. We use to do that years ago to make money for the 4H club. We really never had a problem with people trying to beat us way down on price. However, me and another father use to leave our Rummage sale, go to others and buy stuff cheap. Then we would return to the Rummage sale we were having the same day and put it out for double the money. Worked out pretty good.:D

Ebay and their shenanagins are getting old fast.

Instead of all the ratings and other nonsense, why not do like Sam's Club and Costco and have a 'business' account and a 'personal' account? Different rate structure for the big boys and casual sellers. Keep it simple and maybe they'll regain their audience.

Just my .02......

Harold

Ebay and their shenanagins are getting old fast.

Instead of all the ratings and other nonsense, why not do like Sam's Club and Costco and have a 'business' account and a 'personal' account? Different rate structure for the big boys and casual sellers. Keep it simple and maybe they'll regain their audience.

Just my .02......

Harold

I was thinking along similar lines it seems like ebay just wants the big money sellers and is trying to squeeze out the little guy.

Ed

As a buyer, I'm still OK overall with Ebay. Still a good resource and pretty user friendly from a buyer's perspective.[/quote

DING DING we have winner folks, Norm figured out ebay's secret and who they want to cater to!:D The whole new ebay is geared towards the buyer as they want to attract more buyers. That is a good thing as long as we the sellers don't take it in the shorts, butt(pun intended) it looks as though that is what they are doing with no real recourse on bad buyers.:(

I suppose if it gets bad enough, some enterprising soul will come along and

try to start an offshoot.

There has been many tried amazon had one a few years ago and yahoo recently closed theirs but ebay like microsoft is hard to beat. David is going to need a tank to bring down this Goliath.

Ed

I suppose if it gets bad enough, some enterprising soul will come along and

try to start an offshoot.

Even though I don't buy or sell much of anything on ebay now, I do look at Craigs List for local listings on parts and cars, etc. I like that better. It's a set price, you can call the person on the phone (if I can't I don't bother) and you can pick up your item the same day or day after. Whatever you set up with the buyer. You can also set it up to look in person before you buy. Much better system in my book. I also recently sold something myself on Craigs List. Much less hassle. The item I sold was large. Guy called that lived only about 10 miles away. Came over to the house, looked and bought the item with cash. That's another plus for Craigs List in my book. Don't have to use a credit card or money order when dealing direct in person. Just use good old Greenbacks. No hassle.

I agree with dezeldoc.... I believe the whole change started when ebay tried to eliminate the retaliatory negative feedback (which some big sellers would do), so they elimininated the possibility of the seller leaving negative feedback (which is a mistake).. When I look at the sellers, I take a look at the negs, and quite often its the low feedback people that leave the negs... ie people who don't know how ebay works..... or impatient ones that think they'll have their item next day.... etc..... I still buy and sell on the bay because I'm in the middle of nowhere and don't have the option of going to swaps etc (yet... I'm most likely moving south very soon, so that may change drastically). But by not being in a major center, I can't necessarily get what I want up here....

And when I sell, I put everything up for a buck.... if it sells.... its worth more than if it doesn't.... and what doesn't ends up in the garbage, since I haven't touched it in over 6 months anyways.....

Allan

I rarely do yardsales either...but they can be fun..I had one, actually the wife did...I put an item or two out there..one was brand new..had no need for it but priced it very attractively..well this one guy had an eye for it..came back a number of times..then made a ridculus offer..I refused his offer and he got indignant saying that was all the item was worth and he was being more than fair...I picked up the item..then placed it on the ground and stomped it..then told him it was worth it to see the look on his face...

I did the same on a trailer I was selling out of the newspaper, guy came out looked it over and proceeded to knock down everything he could to try to get the price down, after I decided he went too far, I interupted him and said that since he thought that there was soooooo much wrong with the trailer, I just couldn't feel good about selling such a pile of crap to him at any price and that the trailer was no longer for sale to HIM. He started stuttering and said that he didn't mean he didn't want to buy it, I reitterated again what I said and stood my ground even after he brought out the cash. Guy never did get to buy it. I did the same with a car once. Felt darn good and other buyers took the trailer, the car is my 49 Plymouth and it pissed me off enough to finish it myself!! Bud :D :D