Man, I love my truck, and this forum ain't bad either! Fiddy was leakin antifreeze and gettin hot intermittently. Flushed her out, changed the thermostat and the cap, and she's running like a top. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the rear carb (She has dual single barrels on an Offenhauser intake) was leaking. Kind of bleeding down the side of the carb, and I was worried about the fire thing so I decided it was time to rebuild them. The rear is a DTC-1 and the front is a DTE-2, but the same kit works for both. I got the kit from Mike's carbs (very nice folks) they wanted $36 bucks each for the rebuild kits, but since I ordered 2, along with a 20% military discount (retired Navy), they both ended up costing $40, shipping included! A great deal in my estimation! I've never rebuilt a Carter carb, so I thought I'd do one at a time and started with the DTC. Everything went fine, set it to factory bench settings and put it back together and then put it on. Took the DTE off and took it apart. The 2 ball, Ball and Ball carb turned out to be a 4 ball, as the previous rebuilder must have had extras and decided to put them in at random. A small ball was where the big ball was supposed to be and the big ball was at the base of the main tube... Anyway, I straightened that out then noticed that the accelerator pump spring was about 3/4 of an inch longer than what was on the DTC. I called Mike and he sent me a new one for each carb and since there was an extra bowl gasket with the kit, I could take the DTC bowl cover off and replace that one with no hiccups. Got the parts in 2 days, from the northwest corner of the US to the SW corner of the US...in 2 days, with no extra shipping costs! Anyway, got both fixed up and back on. Fired her up and dialed her in. She runs like a top! So I took her to work yesterday and she ran great, but a Florida monsoon hit in the evening on the way home and the wipers were inoperable. I found a YouTube video saying the spec sheet for lubricating these motors was to use brake fluid or some other light oil, then I saw a couple of posts here recommending to just disconnect the vacuum line at the intake and pour the oil down the tube while moving the wipers back and forth. So being the lazy guy that I am, I tried it and thought - there is no way this will work, it's too easy. I moved the wipers back and forth, then hooked the vacuum line back up, turned the wipers on and could not believe my eyes. Those dang wipers move so fast and smooth across the windshield that I thought they were going to fly off the posts!
All in all, I must say, this truck is just a pleasure to work on. Next up, a completely new bed. This is a functioning work truck so I figure I'll get some marine grade plywood, cut it and paint it black, and get some regular steel strips and paint them black as well. Right now there is just a piece of 1/2 inch ply in there over the original bed...or what's left of the original bed. Look out Mar K, here I come, I hope you are as accommodating as Mike's Carbs was.
Sorry for the length of the post here, I got a little carried away.