Jump to content

Sam Buchanan

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Sam Buchanan last won the day on September 3

Sam Buchanan had the most liked content!

1 Follower

About Sam Buchanan

  • Rank
    Senior Member, have way too much spare time on my hands

Profile Information

  • Location
    north Alabama
  • My Project Cars
    1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe;
    1974 Standard VW Beetle;
    Vans RV-6;
    Fokker D.VII replica


  • Location
    north Alabama
  • Interests
    custom-built aircraft

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I think everyone on this thread agrees that good grounds are very important.
  2. I vacillated on tire choices for a couple weeks when putting my P15 back on the road. I finally settled on bias-ply Coker H78-15 Classic 3" wide whites. This is about as wide as I would want to force between the rear drum and fender. I really considered radials but was concerned about difficulty steering at parking speed. If doing it over I might go radials for a little softer ride but the speedo is accurate with the H-78s and I run about 25 psi for acceptable ride comfort. I doubt I'll wear out these tires.
  3. I wonder if the additional grounds in modern cars may be due to the dependence on digital CAN buses multiplexing throughout the entire vehicle.
  4. How 'bout just battery ground to engine and battery ground to body? Won't that cover it? (I hope it does.....that is all my car has as far as I know and everything works perfectly....)
  5. 87 octane, ethanol contaminated, straight out of the pump, never had a problem. Back when our cars came off the assembly line 70 octane was common at the country store.
  6. So you are saying the moderators need to activate the Dad Filter?? 😁 😁 Man...I can't imagine how cool it would be to be able to share my shop with my dad......
  7. Just some thoughts: Worn throttle shaft allowing air to be pulled past the shaft creating lean condition? Leaking gaskets at base of carb and/or intake manifold? Problem with centrifugal advance springs or sticking weights? Something still plugged in the carb? Stay with it, I suspect you are very close to getting this sorted out.
  8. Yep, I overpaid....seems to be a habit I have with this car..... I couldn't get the loose side of the shackle in the space between the bumper bracket/fender without trimming, but it all worked out fine.
  9. My '48 P15 with the stock 3.91 rear ratio is very happy at 60 mph. The brakes keep me from cruising any faster.
  10. Welcome to the forum! You will find the Search engine to be invaluable for poking around in the forum archives. Each hour spent reading forum archives will save you multiple hours of head scratchin' once you start wrenching on your car. I have attached my personal collection of 60 bookmarks for my P15, you will find many of these vendors useful for Your D24. Enjoy your new ride! P15 Bookmarks.html
  11. I thought about using a clamp but since the ones I replaced weren't domed I just modified them. There would have been about 5/8" of rubber to compress with a clamp if I hadn't trimmed them. Probably could have gotten by with less trimming but they work fine. If someone finds these bushings locally they should be able to make them work on their car with no problems.
  12. Too wide, Andy, don't think I would have ever gotten the loose half of the shackle fitted and the nut started. They fit nicely after trimming....I trimmed them to match the dimensions of the bushings I removed.
  13. Replaced the shackle bushings today.....railroad crossings no long go thumpity-CLUNK. The new rear engine mounts along with the shackle bushings also eliminated most of the clutch chatter. I found some Moog bushings at a good price on eBay but they are the domed head style. I cut 5/16" off the head of each bushing with the bandsaw as shown in the photo and they then looked like the bushings in my car and fit perfectly. Moog K200917 These are readily available. Be advised there are two bushings in each box. The eBay vendor advertised "8" bushings, but I received eight boxes....I now have an extra set of bushings.
  14. To close the loop on this thread the rear engine mounts and spring shackle bushings have been replaced. This eliminated most of the clutch chatter, no work on the clutch is planned. Good to go.
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Terms of Use