Jump to content

Jomani

Members
  • Content Count

    174
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

Jomani last won the day on February 5

Jomani had the most liked content!

About Jomani

  • Rank
    Senior Member, have way too much spare time on my hands

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Santa Maria, Ca
  • Interests
    Wood working, metal working, fixing old stuff.
  • My Project Cars
    1947 Dodge 1 ton WD-21, 1956 Willys CJ5

Contact Methods

  • Biography
    I enjoy working on older vehicles - mechanical and metal work
  • Occupation
    Supervisor of Vocational Instruction (Vice Principal)

Converted

  • Location
    Santa Maria Ca.
  • Interests
    Woodworking, project vehicles

Recent Profile Visitors

335 profile views
  1. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I got the fender in black primer then decided it needed more - I think. I can never seem to leave well enough alone. What do you guys think about the diamond plate? Polished aluminum is too much bling - thinking about going black on the aluminum and the cross bars and the jade green on the fender. In in the end, there will be some kind of step or short running board in both the front and back of the fenders that will tie in to the center piece. I need to get some weight on it before I determine the final height of the fenders.
  2. Jomani

    1958 Dodge utility truck

    Nice find. I wouldn’t think it would be common to find a service bed on a half ton truck. 👍
  3. It has been raining the last couple of days - I have lots of time to work on the truck this week so I decided to take another look at the rear fenders. I have access to a tubing roller so I decided to get a little crazy. I rolled some inch and a half square tubing to the same diameter as the fender I made. Looking for an industrial look without getting into the rat rod look. All total, there is over 15 feet of weld on this one fender. Definately strong enough to stand on.
  4. I dropped the old radiator in (the one that came from the Power Wagon) to check fan clearance. Clearance is perfect - bottom outlet tube turns up and hits the fan. I will have to remember that when I look for an aluminum radiator. Everything else fits nicely. As much as I didn’t want to cut into the firewall, I am glad I did. Transmission clears by over a half inch so the floor can stay flat.
  5. I was having trouble visualizing the rear fenders without the rest of the body. I decided to bite the bullet and drop the cab back on the frame. With the engine and trans in their final resting place, I needed to see how much firewall trimming needed to happen anyway.
  6. I got the tires mounted back on the rims - using the motor home tires for now. Old tires with great tread and no signs of cracking. Set the fender on that I had been playing with. Since the rear fenders are temporary until I can figure out what will go on the back, I think I am going with a couple of pieces of square tuning across the top of the frame.
  7. Maybe someone on the forum is close by and would be willing to offer eyes and ears, test drive, etc. That is a great engine - did he say how many miles on the original service Jeep? Someone did a lot of work making it all fit - fire wall set back, hanging clutch and brake pedals, radiator. The question is, did they do it right? Pictures of the drive train would be helpful, but a test drive would tell a lot more.
  8. The more I thought about the wheels, the more I knew they needed something. With a couple of hours of daylight left, I pulled out the orange paint I used on the trim and found an old pinstriping brush that I picked up many years ago. I have never tried pinstriping - another first on this build. I think I am happy with that. Good thing my wife didn’t catch me using the dining room table.
  9. I played around with paint on the dual wheels. Decided to go with a two tone to match the truck. Not sure if I am crazy about the paint scheme on the wheels - might try an orange pinstripe where the green and white meet - same color as the front stainless trim.
  10. Custom spring hanger bolts arrived from SD Truck Springs so I was able to get the rear springs finished up. Spring perches welded in place and overload springs installed.
  11. What a bummer. At least the damage was minimal. On the bright side - you now know you left enough clearance to get the thing apart if needed. Waiting for the brown truck to arrive will be torture. 🕑🕝🕒🕞🕓
  12. Good choice on ditching the fuse. It looks like you have the battery cable well insulated. I am surprised at your choice of battery terminals though. Those cheap clamp-on terminals are a problem waiting to happen - especially under the truck. The link below shows a great system that is foolproof and offers a much better electrical connection. https://youtu.be/SXDkNMDDrBs
  13. I also got the cross member stitched back together and the trans mount fabricated. The new engine placement put the trans mount right at the cross member. I decided to use the cross member - I will reinforce it after I pull the engine back out.
  14. Had another productive sunny day today. I got the engine angle set - 3 degrees on the top of the intake to make up for the rake of the truck. If all goes as planned, the carburetor will sit level. The pinion angle ended up at 6.3 degrees. The driveshaft angle is less than I was hoping for. With a load on the rear, it could very well end up running straight. If that happens, I may have to lift the engine a little.
  15. If my calculations are correct, I should only need about an inch to get sufficient firewall clearance. The nice thing is that I can leave the original radiator placement.
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Terms of Use